HybridZ

Starion/Conquest Auto Tranny Swap

Tony240ZT

My `72 3 speed auto tranny is really pissed off about all of this power I'm putting to it with the L24ET. I've heard that the Mitsubishi conquest/starion 4 speed tranny will swap over if I grab the bell housing from a nissan maxima with the L28 engine.

Does anyone know what else is involved? Like what do I have to do to make the drive shaft fit? Which drive shaft should I use and what do I have to do to it? Is everything pretty much bolt on or do I have to fabricate/modify anything? How about the mount, how much different is it, will I simply have to go foward or back about an inch, or is it a lot different? Will it fit in the tunnel just fine, and is it easy to get the shifter in the right spot? Do I use the tranny out of the fuel injected cars with the body flares or the ones before where they were carberuated? Does it matter?

Do you guys know the stall point of the converter? As far as I can tell the one on the `72's is at 2K RPM, but actually it slips when I power brake it, so hard to tell.

Also, if I'm slipping this 3 speed, getting it warm and such, what kind of life expactancy should I expect. I think I'm putting out around 220 at the crank (estimate). I would prefer to not be left on the side of the road because of it, and I've never had one fail on me. Do they just keep slipping more and more as they get worse, or will it just break on me?

• 2 weeks later...

I have done this swap and here are a few areas to deal with. Do not use the 88-89 Conquest tranny as it requires further mods than stated. Trust me, this is the trans I used. Use the 83-87 Starion unit. The tranny internals are different as the drums on the turbo cars hold more clutches. I suppose you could swap guts from the starion tranny to the maxima tranny. Also, I had to COMPLETELY cut out the old tranny mount from the tunnel as this auto is much bigger. You will also be required to do some valve body mods which consists of drilling some holes and shimming some springs. The converter designation is a DA-8 listed in the Daaco catalog. I had Protorque build me a custom 9.5" converter. You must fab your own tranny mount and have a driveshaft shortened. I used the conquest shaft in my car and modded it to fit the R200 flange. You CANNOT beat the auto off the line with a good stall for a street car. At 1/3 throttle off the line I was destroying a supped up Moosetang Cobra. Just too easy and no driving skill necessary. With stock OEM clutches on the rebuild and valve body mods the tranny is supposed to handle 500hp in a 240Z. With the stock(tight) maxima converter I chirped the tires going into 3rd gear at 90mph. Just don't be drinking coffee when this thing shifts gears....BAMM! With a tight converter it chirps the tires on the 1-2. HEHE!