HybridZ

Goooey Tar Like sticky stuff

Guest Ilovetacos

Guest Ilovetacos

I have a 280Z and i am working on getting the interior 100% bare. I am running bare metal and an aluminum dash. the interior has those stick black and browning pad things all over it and its like that stick black goup stuff. i have been scraping it off and using paint thinner but its really slow. deos anybody kno any tricks for getting ride of this stuff?

I removed it all the tar sound deadening from the floor of my 240Z with a large screwdriver and a hammer. It took a while, but the force of the shock would jar a quarter sized piece at a time loose. If I had thought ahead I'd have bought a large chisel. I can't imagine the goop it would turn into with the application of heat. Cold would probably be the way to go, apply the dry ice and start shattering it loose (I believe).

I can't remember the exact name of the product I've been using, but it's a wax/grease/X substance disolvant, just basically breaks down everything that has sticky properties, still requires a bit of elbow grease to scrap it off, luckily have only had to work on small areas so far.

I don't know of any faster alternative, I have heard some good things about Dry Ice, just like EMWHYROHEN said, luckily for me, most of it was ripped out before I got the car.

Can only dare to imagine what it would be like stock insulated...the horror.

• 3 months later...

For the past few days I've been removing this crap. Weapons of choice? A small rubber mallet and a 4-5" wide metal putty knife. Since its been below 32 degrees F for a while, I just open the garage and let the temperature DROP. Once its cold enough, the stuff chips away like a charm. Usually in huge chunks. WAY easier than when I first tried at the end of summer. I tried a chisel first, but it was too small and sharp.

Not to say that this doesn't require quite a bit of work, and its still a pain to do it. But it is much easier. Who says the cold never does any good?

For the past few days I've been removing this crap. Weapons of choice? A small rubber mallet and a 4-5" wide metal putty knife. Since its been below 32 degrees F for a while, I just open the garage and let the temperature DROP. Once its cold enough, the stuff chips away like a charm. Usually in huge chunks. WAY easier than when I first tried at the end of summer. I tried a chisel first, but it was too small and sharp.

Not to say that this doesn't require quite a bit of work, and its still a pain to do it. But it is much easier. Who says the cold never does any good?

Usually such methods invites rodents into you garage :P. I know from experience :P.

The dry ice method worked great for me but I still had to hit the floor with considerable force. I tried using chisels and scrapers but the best method for me was to use dry ice and then hit the floor with a large mallet. It would flex the floor just enough for the tar to pop up.

Probably took about 30 minutes with the dry ice. It was kinda fun too!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going at it with a chisel, just found out about the dry ice thing and havent tried it, but I know a chisel and heat gun works really well, my friend stipped his car with that method and it literally took the whole pieces off without leaving anything behind.

If you you a chisel, as you can see it leaves little spots here and there that you will need to wirewheel or something afterwards, which is completely awkward to do around the floorboards behind the pedals.

Has anyone found something other then laquer thinner that works to wipe down everything afterwards and remove the tiny pieces left behind? Would make life sooo much easier if I knew all these tricks before I chiseld most of the car.