HybridZ

T5 in ZX

Guest BillV

Guest BillV

Has anyone put a T5 behind a smallblock in a 280ZX? Does the shifter line up with the factory console hole? I wondered because you can't set the engine back as much. I'm going to install a 383 in an 83, and would really like to keep it a stick. Any other tips on this conversion would be greatly apreciated, since there doesn't seem to be much info on this swap.

Well, considering the 280ZX has the same motor as a 280Z, and those dimensions are about the same, I would think that it would be close with the V8 and T5--not exact, but close. Ross Corrigan and Griemann (sp?) have V8's in their ZXs. Cripes, I can't remember what trannies they run, but I think they have T5's. I don't recall either of them saying they had to modify the stock console or anything. Try emailing them.

Davy

Guest greimann

I have a T5 in a ZX. The shifter is about 2" further forward than stock, so you have to do some minor sheetmetal and console alteration. The GM T5s were originally designed to be tilted or (rotated) about 15 degrees to the left in the Camaros. I recommend mounting it straight up so you don't have shifter location problems. In my case I used a BOP (Buick, Olds Pontiac)bellhousing. There are probably other Chevy bellhousings that would work too. The only difficulty is the rear trans mount, which in my case look like a bit of "Junkyard Wars" engineering, but it works great. There is a picture at my site below. Originally I had a hybrid ZX slave mated to a Chevy throwout arm, but recently I went with the Mcleod hydraulic release bearing. Very smooth and well worth the money. You do have to fab an adapter for the master cylinder though.

How did you do the BOP pattern bellhousing? Is it really a universal pattern one or do you have an adapter? I have heard that it is necessary to drill out the case ears from the metric fastener to the standard size fasterner used in the traditional 0 degree bellhousing. The '84-'87 Corvette bellhousing is 0 degree and is also for a hydraulic clutch. If you have to spend $ for a bellhousing, look into the Mcleod scattershield. It is drilled for both 0 degree and the Camaro 15 degree tilted if I rememlber correctly.

Guest greimann

I didn't have to do anything to it. It just bolted up with no hassles. When I bought it, I really didn't know much about transmissions or bellhousings. The guy at the tranny shop said, "Here, this will work". And it did.

FYI, when you use a Mcleod hydraulic release bearing with this transmission, you need to put a .125" spacer between the trans and the bellhousing to get the required clearance.

Guest BillV

What kind of location problems if the camaro bellhousing is used? Also, does anyone know if TPI will fit under the hood. Ii probably will use a carb at first, but TPI would be in the future.

Guest greimann

Wel it must be a CBOP or a universal one because there is an extra set of holes at the big end that do not match to the Chevy block, And the bolts from the tranny went right in.

If your bellhousing bolted right up, it is a "Chebby" bellhousing and NOT a BOP. You did not have to ream the holes in the case to use the standard thread bolts of the 0 degree bellhousing? Or is it a metric bolt straight up bellhousing?

Guest BillV

I know the T5 isn't rated for a lot of torque, but how is it holding up behind a mild smallblock? Obviously you can't abuse it too bad. What springs and struts can be used to minimize "squat" when shifting? Also, what mounts word best for a ZX, Motorspots?, do they insall the motor low enough for driveline alignment?

Guest greimann

So far I have no problems with My T5 behind a 395 ft-lb motor, but I have only 50,000 miles on it, so time will tell! :D I do mostly spirited street driving, but have been to the drag strip about 10 times. Traction is the limiting factor on how much you can shock load the gears. Just don't hook up slicks.

If you are looking for one, be sure to get a "World Class" one. I believe they were in the '89 and up F-bodies. The World Class versions can handle more torque. I bough mine brand new from the GM parts counter. If I was to do it again, I would get a Tremec T3550. Another important safeguard is to use an upgraded oil. GM T5's are lubed with ATF of all things. The oil has to be that thin to get to the small needle bearings, but regular ATF doesn't have much EP additive for protection against heavy loads. I have used TCI racing ATF that has a form of fluid grade moly-disulfide for EP protection. It really make a difference.

I am using KYB gas shocks and Eibach springs and the rear squat had been greately diminished.

I made my own mounts, so I can't comment on what Motorsport offers, but If you are using a GM F-body T5, you will have to make your own mount. I don't have any drivetrain aligment problems.