HybridZ

LS1 300zx sump issue

Ok my fabricator is finally getting his ass into gear.....some time soon. so my freind is a sheet metal fabricator and he is going to do the sump for me. Now i want the engine sitting as low as possible. can I make the sump res almost on the crank scraper? this car will be tracked hard and have an accusump for reasurance? i want to know basically how low i can tell my freind to make the sump?

Here are pictures of a drift zed with a ls1 fitted it is turbo making over 550rwhp.

DriftZ01.jpg

DriftZ02.jpg

DriftZ03.jpg

DriftZ04.jpg

DriftZ05.jpg

• Administrators

Yes, you can mod the pan to within 1/8" or so of the windage tray. If you are willing to notch or cut away a section of the windage tray, you could modify the pan to the same depth as the windage tray. For example, the forward section of the F-bod oil pan is so shallow that its windage tray does not run full length as it interferes with the forward section of the oil pan. :wink:

For my current LSx project, I ordered the Improved Racing products bolt in trap door baffle for that added protection during aggressive back road and autocross driving, info here;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=141988

The thread linked below regarding LSx oil pan and extreme lateral G-loading applications is a good read, (thank you JMortensen for the link).

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40998

When I was mocking up my LSx Z-32, modifying the oil pan to the same depth as the windage tray was my plan as well. These pics represent were I needed to modify the LSx pan for the position I was going to place the LSx in my Z-32 conversion. Lots of measurements, mocking up, etc;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=144469

MAGENTA represents the rack, GREEN represents minimum material to be removed for adequate clearance using rubber engine mount isolators, up to the same depth as the windage tray.

F-bodZ32.jpg

cadillacsideZ32.jpg

Pan2.jpg

Pan1.jpg

Hope that helps,

Paul

Edited by BRAAP

• 3 weeks later...
that Autokraft pan that BRAAP has up here ^^^ gave me a ton of room. i have a few pics in my thread down here vvv

how deep is your pan? i already have a corvette pan and will be modding it. i want a fair bit of clearance for the sump as it will be tracked and driven hard.

i took my pan of today to look at the clearance side of things before i go chopping up my new pan. looks like im really not gonna be able to achieve a hell of alot with the windage tray in the way? the f body doesnt run it at the front would it matter that much if i didnt run it at all accept right near the back over the actual "sump" section?

Picture044-1.jpg

Picture045-1.jpg

Picture046-1.jpg

Picture047-1.jpg

Picture048-1.jpg

Picture051-1.jpg

Picture050-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey just a quick update i know there are alot of pictures in this thread but when i was looking for z32 lsx modified sumps i could find ANY so to help anyone who is going to undertake this here are some more of the completed sump.

It may be modified in the future to have additional capacity.

Picture052-1.jpg

Picture053-1.jpg

Picture054-1.jpg

Picture055-1.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture062.jpg

• Administrators
Hey just a quick update i know there are alot of pictures in this thread but when i was looking for z32 lsx modified sumps i could find ANY so to help anyone who is going to undertake this here are some more of the completed sump.

It may be modified in the future to have additional capacity.

Picture061.jpg

Looks, great, nice work. :2thumbs: