HybridZ

Best shifter for ZX 5 speed

Mike C

If you look at the ratios, the later ZX is horrible (80-83) with only a 3.0 first gear vs. the 3.5 of the T5. Also, the .82 overdirve isn't as much as the T5s. The 77-79 has a 3.3 first gear, but once again nothing on the T5. Also the availability of aftermarket shifters and if I have to learn to rebuild a trans, I have 3 other T5s. smile.gif So I don't need extra tools or parts. I think I have a 79 5 speed now but I'm not sure. The first one I bought was but it was junk and the yard swapped for the one I have now. Either way, 3.7 and the t5 should be as good as 4.11 and the earlier 5 speed or at least 3.90 and better highway manners.

Not the one for a T5. With the advent of the Ricer Hurst might make a shifter for a 240sx that could be adapted to an earlier Nissan 5 speed. I ended up buying the Hurst Competition Plus for an 83-86 Mustang 5 speed. I'll put it in but will probably either have to modify or replace the handle. Looks like it is too far forward and too tall.