HybridZ

Replacement of front cross member (under radiator)

Hi guys,

Well finally the 240 is in the panel shop having the frame rails fully replaced. The cross member that runs accross at the very front of the frame rails is in very bad shape, we have cut it right out at this point of the job, and it is really beyond repair.

My question is can i replace it with a straight piece of tube, as the stock member has a step down in it. Is this step down needed? what is its purpose? Hopefully we can replace with a straight tube, as this will be so much easier.

Note: my car is a race car, that will be far from stock, so will not be using the stock radiator or anything.

Front cross member pic_thumb.JPG

Also, depending on which engine you use, nothing says that the crossmember has to be at the front of the frame. Because I wanted to angle my radiator, and because I have a Ford V8 in a very set-back location, I elected to move my crossmember back even with the sway bar mounts.

PICT0035.JPG

Exactly!

Those frame rails dont look like the stock ones either. That is a trick looking piece of kit! Please share more pics and specs of your whole setup.

Clint.

The frame rails are 2.5 x .125'' square tubing. If you want more info about the frame work I did see this thread : http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125985&highlight=chassis+stiffening

Also, as David mentioned you don't have to place the member in the front. Now that I have so much room in front of the engine I actually could have placed the front peice alot further back.

Here are some pics with my previous engine which should fit very similarly to yours.

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

If your still going to be using your RB running the cross member in front might be your best option.

mayolives, that is beautiful....

You and emwhyrohen did a good job with a different core support setup. I'm young and work at a body shop, so obviously i hang around all the local street racing. You should see some of the hack jobs people do just to act like they know they're stuff. nicely done.

The frame rails are 2.5 x .125'' square tubing. If you want more info about the frame work I did see this thread : http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125985&highlight=chassis+stiffening

Also, as David mentioned you don't have to place the member in the front. Now that I have so much room in front of the engine I actually could have placed the front peice alot further back.

Here are some pics with my previous engine which should fit very similarly to yours.

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

If your still going to be using your RB running the cross member in front might be your best option.

Thanks for those pics, good to see it all with the RB in place, to get an idea of clearance etc.