HybridZ

Just pulled out the R180

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, I just pulled out the 180 and is it just me or is it normal that nothing is interchangeable?

I think the R180 is the '72 stock piece.

The R200 is out of an '84 280ZX.

The axles don't work (the R200 didn't come with them. I think the car it came from had CV's)

The pilot/companion(?) flange is 2" and looks completely different from the one out of the R180 (Smaller).

Do I just have the wrong year R200?

I guess this is moot since I placed an order with ZBarn (I couldn't find anything I needed locally) for a 3.70 R200 and mustashe bar, but now I'm wondering if I need to get other axles etc.

Has anyone bought a R200 from ZBarn? What should I expect?

Thanks. Jon

R200 and R180 axles are different. I'm not familiar with all the pilot flanges, never had any issues in swapping many diffs.....just kept my original R200 pilot and used on all others I put in. If you have an early Z then you want the r200 mustache bar as you say. Diff's don't typically come with axles, perhaps you thought the side 'stubs' would be in the diff? Those work with UJ axles, not the CV setup.

Good luck!

Hey Jon,

So your finally putting that rear end in. I remember someone saying you can use the r180 halfshafts but don't know for sure. If not you will need the 280Z halfshafts, direct bolt on. Also you will need the 280Z mustache bar Your rear diff is from a 83 280ZX and if you used the 280zx halfshaft you have to get them shorten.

Hey let me know if you need help putting that in. The recent one I put in was a pain in the a$$.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys...

Ross I think I mean the side stubs, like you say.

I betting the new diff won't come with those, or even the pilot flange in front. And those are what I need. I'll call ZBarn tomorrow and find out for sure.

Hey Ron, I'll call ya when the time comes buddy. The diff we pulled has 3.90s and I really wanted 3.70s so I ordered one. I can't find diddlly at the JYs around here. Not even Autogator! You didn't have to change your halfshafts did you?

Thanks again guys.

Jon

Jon, I was lucky the car already came with the r200 rear diff so I didn't have to do anything. I did do research on it when I was going to do the swap on my other Z that I got rid of. I'm going to email BigJim for the parts. He can find them cheap and sells them cheaper then others. I'll CC you when I email him.

Jon, I have Mike D.'s old R200 sitting in my garage. It has the correct side stubs and pilot flange on it for the swap. If you want to come by and check it out just let me know. When you're ready to swap yours let me know, I'll help if I can get out of my busy schedule. That way I can hit you up when I do mine. :D

Guest Anonymous

Just got a voice mail from Roger at Zbarn, and yeah Don, they said they could set it up with the proper flanges. BTW, Don, how do you like the 3.55's. I'm torn between 3.55 or 3.70. I do more hi-way driving that anything and don't want to spin the motor excessively. What are your rpms at 75mhp? I'm guessing but the 3.70s would put me at around 3200 rpm with the little 14" (24" tall) wheel combo I have.

Dan, just give me a heads up if you want help with your install. I'm 15 minutes away from you! Heck, so is R0N. We'd get it changed out in no time!

Thanks again.

jon

Guest Anonymous

Nah, the designation 180 and 200 are the size of the ring gear in MM's, so the 180 would be 20 mm to small and probably wouldn't bolt in no how. smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Thanks Jon. Don't be surprised if I take you up on it. If I get on the stick I can fab up Petes front diff mount before the body man is ready. He's stalling. But he said it would be done by October.

And thanks to you too Ron. Isn't it nice to have friends like Jon that will schedule your free time FOR you?

You may have to twak.gif Jon.

:D:D