HybridZ

Fuel vapour problem.

I'm sure this sounds like the other threads about the exhuast smell or gas smell IN the car. Well its not.

I have a single car garage and the gas vapour smell in the garage with the garage door closed is unbarable. I mean when I open the door from inside the house to the garage my house smells like fuel. Its bad. My wife hates it and I'll be honest its bothering me too. I'd be dangerous to light a match probably as its that bad IMO.

I have seen NO fuel leaks as there is no puddling on the floor and none of the fittings have 'sweat' on them that I've seen.

The car doesn't have cats on it if that matters.

My fuel system is this:

Stock tank with welded AN fittings

Aeromotive A1000 pump

Inline Aeromotive fuel filter

All braided AN fuel lines (supply, feed, return)

Aeromotive Pressure regulator

Stock LS1 fuel rail with welded AN fitting

Stock gas cap.

Thoughts comments or suggestions?

Do you have a carbon canniser on the vehicle, and a completely sealed and functioning EVAP system on the car?

If not, that is your problem. The early cars had a terrible EVAP system, and when you get the tank hot, it off gasses through the air cleaner once the crankcase is full of vapors.

Most cars have rotted vapor hoses, so there is not any integrity to the original system and vapors can get out nomatterwhere you go. You should be able to put several inches of water column pressure on the gas filler neck and have that pressure hold for 5 minutes. If it doesn't you have a leak and need to fix it.

When I redid my vapor hoses to the 3/8 and 1/4" conversion (from the 12 and 15mm hoses that were on there stock) both my 240Z and my son's 510 Wagon could hold 2PSI overnight. Neither of these cars reeks of gasoline after a hot shutdown.

If you plug the vapor diverter valve at the front of the vapor line in the car, and make a gas cap to allow you to pressurize the tank, you will be able to test it yourself and go from there. Alternately, you can use the Vapor Line to supply pressure back to the tank, and see if it holds.

If it doesn't hold for AT LEAST a minute or two---you have a leak.

My bet: You have massive vapor hose leakage. That will do it every time. It's pretty common. Especially with Z-cars this age...

I forgot to mention I haveinstalled an LS1 motor from a 2000 Trans Am.

There aren't many "stock" ammenities left on the car, as such what should I be looking for. I remember when I used to drive to the gas station to fill up after a drive the gas cap was definately pressurized as you could hear it depressurize when the cap was removed. I now don't honestly recall hearing that the last little while that I've been driving the car, or at least it wasn't something I remembered. :s