HybridZ

Thinking about a 79 trans am 403/6.6 liter, auto

My friends got a 79 trans am with a 403/6.6L with an auto trans. he said he would sell it to me for 300-400 bucks, says it runs.

its like this one, the bandit ones I believe, it doesnt have the stock rims though.... its in rough rough rough rough shape body wise

but its like this one http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3012887

Are these good motors to build, I have read that with 350heads on them its makes 9compression which is pretty good. Are parts to rebuild them pretty cheap, I know v8 are fairly cheap to rebuild compared to a import motor.

Thinking about putting this in my 280z or 300zx if its worth it.

That is not chevy engine so I moved it to the appropriate forum. The 403 is an oldsmobile engine that has a questionable bottom end design in the main web area. Not suited to high rpm usage but more of a medium performance engine IMO up to about 500HP which is pretty stout in most books as long as you keep the rpms under 6k.

Sry I didnt know if it was a Gm, being in a pontiac. I dont think im trying for over 500. for now it would be stock. But just wanted to know what people think about it. I have a 85 300zx with no motor or trans in it, and I can get this for cheap so ive just been thinking why would I want 3 Zs with all the same motor(vg30/33)

How strong is the 403 stock?

Not very strong as Dr. Hunt stated also i believe they had oiling issues too. these motors are best suited for delta 88s ,cutlass supremes and some buicks as they were made for torque rather than HP. I think they made about 180-200 hp ? maybe 340FTLB. and are known for overheating too Siamese Cylinder walls

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Supernaut280Z

I am an Oldsmobie fan and a new Z car owner. The olds small block makes a ton of torque and the 403 is a monster. it does have holes above the main bearings, unless the donor trans am has a factory tow package, then it may not. Olds engines cost more to build then a chevy motor, weigh more and a much wider. you can make a 500cid stroker motor from a 403 though. anyway, go to 442.com and then go to the olds FAQ section. there is everything anyone needs to know about oldsmobiles motors written there.