HybridZ

which v8 kit

zx28

i ve been looking at two different kits for mounting an lt1 into a 1976 280. the two kits are JTR and msa, i was wondering about the quality of either, or any other plusses and minuses of either kit that any of yall have come across. ive searched the archives and i havent found any one certain opinion. i ve thought of building my own mounts and i can proly do it but id like to jus be able to order them, they be right and be done with it? any opinions are appreciated

I don't know anything about the MSA mounts but JTR has everything you need at a very reasonable price. Get the manual, read it, learn it and you will have no problems.

I am no expert at engine swapping, mine was really the first time I ever atempted anything like this. The swap was really pretty stright forward with only minor complications.

i ve been looking at two different kits for mounting an lt1 into a 1976 280. the two kits are JTR and msa, i was wondering about the quality of either, or any other plusses and minuses of either kit that any of yall have come across. ive searched the archives and i havent found any one certain opinion. i ve thought of building my own mounts and i can proly do it but id like to jus be able to order them, they be right and be done with it? any opinions are appreciated

I don't know anything about the MSA mounts but JTR has everything you need at a very reasonable price. Get the manual, read it, learn it and you will have no problems.

I am no expert at engine swapping, mine was really the first time I ever atempted anything like this. The swap was really pretty stright forward with only minor complications.

what kind of complications did you run in to?

If you buy the JTR book, they have templates of the mounts that you can fab up yourself.

Best tip is to buy the JTR V8 conversion book. I don't even have my 240 yet and just got my book in the mail a few days ago. It's well done and I can see that it is invaluable in attempting a Z-car V8 swap.

I'm glad I spent the $$$ on the book first so that by the time I'm ready for the motor, I'll have it practically memorized. :D

Get the book!!!

The only comlication as far as engine and tranny install were clearance for the steering shaft on the passenger side (I used JTR supplied Sanderson headers). That was fixed by grinding off a little of the JRT motor mount spacer and some rubber off the Chevey motor mount. The tranny tunnel on my 280Z took some work. I had to remove the complete stock tranny mount on the driver's side and beat back the tunnel some on the passenger side to clear the cooler lines, I am runing a 4L60E automatic. A T56 6 speed may be different. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. Get the manual, every aspect of the install is covered.

what kind of complications did you run in to?

The only comlication as far as engine and tranny install were clearance for the steering shaft on the passenger side (I used JTR supplied Sanderson headers). That was fixed by grinding off a little of the JRT motor mount spacer and some rubber off the Chevey motor mount.

I don't know how much older versions of the manual are different, but in mine this is mentioned in the first chapter and provides detailed diagrams on where to modify the spacer and mount.

I did notice that there's a downloadable .PDF update (chapter 12, Cooling) to the JTR book.

That's true. That chapter has always been on the web site.

I don't know how much older versions of the manual are different, but in mine this is mentioned in the first chapter and provides detailed diagrams on where to modify the spacer and mount.

I did notice that there's a downloadable .PDF update (chapter 12, Cooling) to the JTR book.

ive searched the archives and i havent found any one certain opinion.

You didn't find any opinions? There are threads upon threads detailing the opinions of many and outlining the pros and cons of each. Perhaps a bit more searching and you'll find what you are looking for methinks.

Also, please understand, due to the technical nature of this site and the desire to preserve the English therein, I strongly urge you to make an effort to use proper grammar and spelling. That may seem harsh to you, but the truth of the matter is that the admin tend to tool shed posts that show laziness at many levels.

To answer your original question, go JTR if you are doing a Gen I SBC swap.

Davy

The JTR conversion book is primarily for folks looking to do an engine swap on an enjoyable daily driver at a very reasonable price. Their products are excellent. Don't bother trying to fabricate. They give you ways to save money initially by modifying stock parts. Don't ignore having an overdrive automatic or five speed as I did or you will have a gas guzzler. The book is a great place to start, but, if you are going racing, move on up to the good stuff at Arizona Z Car or Techno Toy Tuning and don't buy parts twice as I did. The last edition I bought did not mention the newer products such as five lug conversions or Q45/TT CV Joint conversions. I recommend the Sanderson coated headers but wish I could find some equal length that would fit.

• 2 weeks later...