HybridZ

Can't stop the 700R4

Guest jwelch

Guest jwelch

I'm reposting this again. This problem is starting to become very frustrating. :mad:

I just finished the rear disk conversion and I still can't stop the car's wheel rears from turning. The car is on jackstands and when I put it in gear I have to "smash" the pedal hard to make the wheels stop. Even then they may stop for one revolution and then the tranny keeps turning them. When I do get the wheels to stop (while off the ground) the car almost dies. This has to be the tranny but I tried all the troubleshooting tricks to eliminate the tranny as a problem. I think the tranny is the issue, 700R4 with stock convertor. I'm ready to take the sledge hammer to the car soon. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Guest kc6wfs

Also what " converter do you have.

If i recal there are 2 sizes and one will fit but not be useable.

the reason why I do know know.. It might be a stall thing.

I remember your last post did you do anything to the converter or trans since then?

You do have a problem and sounds like the converter is wrong.

Be sure your idle is set to 700rpms MAX, if it's a stock converter...

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest jwelch

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I haven't changed anything other than the brakes since the last post. I have a small cam 212in./214ex. very mild.

I will double check the idle RPM, could be a little high. Last time a posted there were many recommendations to change to a high stall convertor. I want to stay streetable though, as this will be a daily driver. Does anyone know what the next size convertor up from stock is? I'm assuming the stock one I have is 1300-1500, this is only a guess though. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I put a lock on the sledge hammer until I get this fixed.

Regards,

My 2000 Silverado has a stock converter, and when fully warmed up it idles at 500 +or- 50 rpms in drive. When it is cold, you have to hold the brake pretty tight to keep it from creeping at idle, with a higer idle speed. It is supposed to stall to 1600, but that is major power brake action to get. A looser converter would be the way to go. Just get a mild one, about 2400 rpm stall. Then it won't be to loose to get you going, but it should be loose enough to keep you from creeping.

I am going to get a diff converter for my truck one of these days. Maybe one of those 3000 rpm Yanks.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, probably a stall around 2000 would blow your mind the difference in launch even with a mild stall such as that. Not sure thats what the problem is, but it IS a nice addition. My pardner back in the day had a 70 camaro with a pretty stock 400 in it (someone swapped it in), he changed only the converter to a tad looser and even rolling at 20 mph could burn the wheels real easily. Go to loose though as you probably know gas mileage will suck cause of the added slipperage also a nice tranny cooler is a good idea, higher stall means higher heat the main enemy of any transmission.

Regards,

Lone