HybridZ

Scratch in second everytime

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

1984 300zx n/a

No matter what i do when I sift into 2nd my gears grind I have the clutch to the floor and it still does it. The only why not to scratch it is to let the RPM's drop to 1 and sift real slow. I also have problems getting into reverse I have to let it roll back before it will engauge. Any idea on what is causeing this does it sound like I need to adjust my clutch pedel? I am planning on a trip to the strip this weekend so I need to fix it soon.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Mike kZ:

Could be bad syncros too.

I dont think so cause I am having no problems with any other gear just 2nd. No it doesnt pop out of gear

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Tomahawk Z:

4 or 5 speed???

5sp its a 84 300zx

CHECK the fluid level in the tranny which if low can cause some grinding.[/QB]
Ok I probably need to change it anyway. Has there been any kind of recall on the 2nd gear issue?

Hey man,

My second gear crunches too, but only at full throttle, HAHA. Actually most Datsun transmissions I have ever heard usually crunch second gear, they take the most abuse since people really jam them. I can hook you up on tranny stuff too.

I would check the fluid, and replace it with some new fluid and some of that Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I like that stuff. Have you tried to double clutch it and see if that helps? Be thankful it is not popping out of gear. That really sucks.

Guest Anonymous

If your having trouble getting into reverse, I'd suspect your clutch isn't releasing all the way and it could be also that 2nd gear syncro is indeed bad. 2nd takes quite a pounding from getting bang shifted into second gear, the syncro's are usually soft material like brass and a bit of pounding takes the inside taper off them over time which makes them stop working. Just some idea. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: I wouldn't fist fight in here, you should see the bouncer... :eek:

Guest kc6wfs

I'll second the syncro going out..

Been ther and done it with many trans..

I always just babyed till I got tired of it then had the trans rebuilt.

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Super280z:

Godspeed,

is this Jeremy that had the TT SS camaro and the tight C5 or did you just ripoff his post name?

"Ripoff", is a very harsh term to use. (and quite rude). You should watch what you say. I dont think I ripped anything off as Godspeed is the Official ™ of my Auto Club in Montgomery, Alabama. If you need copy of my © license let me know. I assure you I have not "ripped off" anything.

Guest Anonymous

4 or 5 speed??? second gear usually takes the abuse in a Datsun tranny. Have some one push in the clutch as you observe full travel and any fluctuations in the shaft from the hydrualic cylinder to the clutch fork to see if there is a hydrualic pressure problem. I would say your second gear synchro is in bad shape. I found second gear has a little trouble surviing in the Datsun 5 speeds. I would not push the grinding issue until it is resolved because thing can go clang. CHECK the fluid level in the tranny which if low can cause some grinding.