HybridZ

Engine bay pic-how much of this crap can I remove?

So I got the L28 and tranny out yesterday and now need to know what part of this stuff I don't need anymore. I know the wiring harness I have to keep if I want headlights and stuff, but I don't know how much of this is still fuel injection stuff or maybe spark stuff that I won't need since it won't be an l28 anymore. Also if you guys see brackets that I won't need anymore and can get a spot weld cutting bit and remove them, point those out as well.

DSC01115.jpg

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01120.jpg

Over 100 posts and you still need to be pointed towards the JTR manual? geez

There is a manual that clearly explains nearly all of the things you need to know in order to remove the stock engine from your car and install a chevy small block (though it will help anyone looking to replace the stock motor with something different). Its called the JTR Datsun Z car v-8 conversion manual. I too have a 280z that used to have fuel injection but I bought a wiring diagram off of e-bay to answer all of my own questions. I am in the proccess of prepping the engine compartment and have yet to start on the wiring, but i have been studying the diagram for weeks now and im confident I could start cutting and sodering right now if i wanted to.

• Administrators

The JTR Manual is wonderful. Chocked full of valuable info regarding what is and is not needed in converting a Z over to a V-8. We feel it is such a valuable tool for any V-8 Z conversion, we even made it rule #11 in our rules and guidelines.

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=135&a=2

11. If you are planning a V8 swap into a Z (esp. SBC)' date=' please order the swap manual from http://www.jagsthatrun.com/ . Although this manual is specific to the early Z, it would be helpful to any swap.

[/quote']

If you already have the JTR manual, you're in good shape. It is probably the single most valuable tool in doing a V-8 conversion. :2thumbs:

Now it does not cover the factory EFI. As such, I'll quickly cover the basics of that. Essentially all the factory EFI harness and components can be removed. The electrical plug under the dash that the EFI uses to umbilical itself to the car, can just be left unplugged. Then you can remove any and all brackets in the engine bay not needed to hold relays etc for the V-8, for example, the AFM bracket. Drilling the spot welds is one way to remove that bracket and if it isn't to trashed, can be sold/given to a 240-Z owner wanting to convert his 240-Z over to a factory L-6 EFI. :wink: Just beware, drilling the spot welds leaves holes/divots in the fender.

Be sure you get a JTR manual and good luck,

Paul

Well, I know you have the manual. And I believe you're going with an LT-1 swap, correct? (Or did you get that old 327 that you were looking at?)

If you're going LT1, I don't believe that the JTR V8 conversion book covers all the info you'd need for an Lxx swap...of any series...just a carb setup. So the question is sound...provided you've been a good worker "Z" and done your searching.

What engine you're putting in depends on what you wanna keep, IIRC. If you're going LT1, I'd pay close attention to Grenade3000's LS1 swap thread. Search "LT1", start at the last page, and work your way forward....Also get the JTR TPI/TBI Swap book too....if you don't have it.

If you're going with that 327 I believe you mentioned earlier on, then for shaaaaaame. :P

Me personally, I plan on ripping it all out and using a Painless 18-circuit kit, Neutral Safety, relays....well, everything really. I just have a thing about using old wiring.

Replies like you're getting sure doesn't make you want to ask a question, does it?:icon51:

Get and read the JTR manual, get a shop manual and start studying, then read JTR again and again and make the decisions for yourself...It's all there. If you are going to be successful in swapping an engine, you will need to do research and understand what and why you are doing all aspects of the swap.

Good luck....

I've got the JTR manual, read it 100 times. I just want to mainly want to know what that junk in the first pic is, that black box and that white block next to the old AFM bracket. Also what that bracket is below the fusible links. I want to cut those off but not if I'm going to need it for something. Everyone's swap is a little bit different, I don't want to go buck wild cutting stuff off from the fender wells if those things might prove useful in the future.

That white block is a ballast resistor. You shouldn't need it depending on what ignition/coil system you are going to use.

The Small black box, with the red and green wire, is a terminal block. I honestly don't remember its purpose, but I'm 99% sure I didn't need it or the wires coming out of it when I performed my swap.

• Administrators
I've got the JTR manual, read it 100 times. I just want to mainly want to know what that junk in the first pic is, that black box and that white block next to the old AFM bracket. Also what that bracket is below the fusible links. I want to cut those off but not if I'm going to need it for something. Everyone's swap is a little bit different, I don't want to go buck wild cutting stuff off from the fender wells if those things might prove useful in the future.

Do you have a service manual for your car? Based on these questions, it seems that you don't have one as those items are in the ignition and electrical sections/diagrams. Its all good. If you don't have one, the Haynes manual is inexpensive and good to have around any how, especially for electrical troubleshooting, torque values, etc, just be sure to get one. The shop manual essentially goes hand in hand with the JTR manual. The Haynes manual has a thorough wiring diagram, albeit a struggle to trace the wires being so small, but is thorough and accurate, including all the electrical pugs etc. If you don't have much of an understanding of basic electrical circuits, then even with the shop manual, some of this will be a struggle not knowing what can and will back feed, etc, but we'll help guide you best we can.

In the mean time, here are some answers to your questions… My First JTR V-8 280-Z conversion was back ’97…

First pic;

Black box. That is just a junction box for the VR leads for the electronic ignition. You no longer need it. Those two/three wires, (GREEN, RED, and if the dizzy had dual pick up, a third BROWN wire ), all go to the ignition module on the passenger foot well kick panel. This module is typically a cast aluminum box approx 4”x4”x1½” square. It can also be removed, though be aware the power wire needs to be protected so it wont ground out.

The white block is the ballast resistor for the factory coil. You’ll need to keep the main power wire, (I think its black with white stripe, verify this in your service manual wiring digram), and the blue wire will be your tach signal wire for the V-8.

That blue bracket under the fusible links can delete.

If you have any more specific questions, just ask. I do ask that you get a shop manual, (factory or Haynes), and then as you ask, we answer, we all can follow along the wiring diagrams, hose routings, etc, in the manual and fill in the gaps/holes that the manual does not or help answer the stuff you may not understand.

Once finished, you will enjoy the added torque of the V-8.

Good luck,

Paul

Alright cool, thought it was ignition related but just wanted to double check, thanks.

As far as the service manual, I have the one I downloaded from carfiche or whatever that site is, but it's not broken down into seperate .pdf documents for each section of the manual, so I have to scroll down through the whoooooole thing to try and find something, it's very annoying to use.

I have a question, in the 5th picture down there are a bunch of white wires wth red stripes to to those blocks where it then looks as if they are jumpered. What are those wires and do they need to stay?

James

Those are the fusible links. Pretty much all the electircal power in the car is distributed through those wires.

It can be replaced with a maxi fuse block to give a cleaner appearance though. http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto/maxifuse.htm