HybridZ

rear ratios: 4.11, 3.54?

jeromio

Okay, so, in routing the fuel lines, etc., I've basically removed my diff which is a 4.11. Right now I'm thinking that I may as well go ahead and switch to the 3.54. I can prolly also get some dollars for that 4.11 too (make the wife happy, or at least, less upset ;) ).

But will I have regrets? My original plan was to try out the 4.11 and then switch. I know alot of these FBody guys with LS1s swap to 4.10 gear sets as a performance upgrade. But then their cars are quite alot heavier. LoneStar1 runs a 3.36 and he seems pretty happy (although he posted a story ahile back about a Z06 lookalike outrunning him ;) )

I'm torn. Thirdly, I know that hte 4.11 is problem free, whereas the 3.54 is a mystery - never had it on my car (got it offa parts car).

The gears are EXTREMELY hard and I would be surprised if they were damaged. Bearings are tough as well, but races can rust easily. Like Ross said, take it apart and clean it, that way you can do a closer inpection to see what your troubles are. The 4.09 in the front of my Jimmy looked like they were incased in vaseline the grease was so nasty. The bearings were trashed, but the gears were fine. Actually, the bearings probably would have been OK, but I used my OEM ones.