HybridZ

JTR RHD engine angle

I've trial fitted my SBC with the JTR kit, I have the spacers on the opposite side to you guys because I've got RHD, but when bolted up the engine tilts on an angle down towards the passenger side, is this normal? I have the kit on the drivers side in order of spacer(large), plate, mount and the passenger side, plate, spacer(small), mount.

Hi I have A chev in a 79 280zx in brisbane the adapter'sare both the same size and mount on the original cross member mounting points , the engine and gearbox sit so that the gearbox rear universal is in very close proximity to the original giving a good tailshaft alignment. This setup is working fine the adaptor's are 80 mm long and join the std mount point to std chev engine mounts

You have defeated the design of the JTR kit installing it 'as designed'.

They don't 'go backwards' for a RHD car, either.

What the JTR kit does is move the engine in the chassis BACK and TO THE RIGHT for better weight distribution.

With a RHD car, what you end up doing is concentrating weight on the right side of the car heavily because of driver's position. The JTR kit moves the engine to the right to somewhat offset the driver's weight in the LHD chassis, as well as give some clearance for linkages on the transmission chosen.

On an RHD car, you would expect the mounts to move the engine back and the the LEFT, but this MAY result in linkage issues/clearance issues depending on the transmission setup you have.

You MAY have no other choice but to use them 'as is' to keep clearance, but if you wish the proper L/R weight distribution, moving the engine to the left porportionally in respect to vehicle centerline as the original mounts moved it right would be the ideal situation.

The movement back is of course to get any weight penalty from an all-iron engine in between the wheelbase so as not to make steering effort unbearable.

If you can make a Caddy Powered S30 steer lightly by moving the engine rearward, that advantage is in no dispute!

I doubt it could be mounted the same as LHD z's due to RHD steering clearance issues, its very close now. I'm using a T5 with a custom Dellow straight up bellhousing, the only problem I thought was the driveline angle as moving the engine to the left would move it in the opposite direction to the diff.

I'm a bit confused though Tony, as I've swapped the plates and spacers to move the engine back and to the left, isn't this the same as LHD cars, just a mirror image so to speak and is the only difference a slight weight distribution to the right?