HybridZ

My speedometer cable is snapping.

RPMS

Howdy, guys.

I've got a TH700R4 with a mechanical speedometer output, and the cable routing is giving me fits. Coming out of the speedo drive gear, it bends so sharply that it breaks after only a few hundred miles.

Does someone make a right-angle adapter for close-fit applications, or is the best solution to "clearance" the tunnel with a three pound hand sledge?

I had the same problem with my scrab mounted 260z. It wouldnt snap the speedo cable but would chew up the speedo gear. After a hard time trying to figure out how to route the cable so it wouldnt bind i gave up. I also came arcoss the site mike posted but could not justify spending $88 on a 90 degree adapter. Me being lazy and poor took the plastic speedo gear out of the trans and went on my marry way. I had a friend ride beside me and tell me how fast i was going, and i memorized the corelation between the rpm and speed.

Thanks, Mike. That link was exactly what I was looking for. Lowrider's right, it's going to be tough to cough up $90 for something that seems so simple, but it looks like my only other option is to pay $200 for a new electronic speedometer. Or I could just beat the tar out of my transmission tunnel until it fits. Or drill a hole in the tunnel and run the cable through the cabin! :-)

Another option - a bit out of the box:

Make a hole in the trans tunnel that lines up with where the cable wants to stick into the car, if the cable comes out on the driver's side. Use a grommet on the cable, put it through the hole, and run it either back into the tunnel again after making a nice slow curve, or run it up the floor board and inside of the firewall to the speedo.

Hey, Pete! Good to see you're still around. I sort of half-thought about doing that, but the cable routing through the cabin from the entry point to the back of the speedo would be torturous! The tranny is long in the tooth anyway (not to mention the fact that I DESPISE slushboxes) so I'll probably just replace the damned thing with a 5-speed.

And now, I'm off to peruse your website! What has Pete done in the 18 months since last I've looked? Good thing it's a slow day at work!