HybridZ

Best auto tranny

Guest potterma

Guest potterma

After much debate, I think I've decided to go auto-tranny in my 280ZX. I've been a staunch manual tranny guy forever, but there are advantages to autos. With a full manual valve body and reverse pattern, I think I'm gonna love it (I hope).

Anyway, the question becomes, who builds the best auto tranny? Art Carr? TPI? Someone else?

Then the question of 200-4R Vs. 700R4 rears up. Any thoughts there?

I'd appreciate any input y'all have!

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

IMHO the 200 has a better first gear and is a smaller package overall. The 700 is larger has a lower first gear. Either well work, IMHO the 200 will take less HP to run (smaller pump and rotating assembly) and can be built strong enough, itd be what I'd use if I were to go auto, the 700r is a fine tranny too and all the places you mentioned build good ones. Full manual huh? Hardcore.. :D

Regards,

Guest Anonymous

I'd vote for the 200-4R for the same reasons Lone gave. B&M, TCI, Art Carr, Kenne Bell....all have great parts for transmissions and very good track records for quality.

200 4R uses the same output splines as the TH350, but the mounting pad is further back than the TH350, it is that same spacing as the TH400, which is the same as the T56. If you are worried about strength, just ask Scottie.....he's running all kinds of GN-T torque through his, and hooking up hard at the strip. To my knowledge he has not had any problems with his. BowtieOverDrives.com makes a pretty stout one, for a very reasonable $$.

HTH.

Tim

Guest potterma

Thanks for the replies.

BowTieOverdrives.com doesn't do a full manual valve body. Won't sell one to you. They don't believe in them. Curious. Their web site only has a "level 1" 200-4R. They seem to focus on the 700 over the 200.

Anybody know anything about The 2004R Performance Center in Sacramento?

I'm in Southern Oregon, so I could actually go down and visit on a weekend or something...

Thanks,

Guest potterma

The 200-4R was what I had narrowed it down to, as well, but thought I'd get some input.

Anyone got a web page for Kenne Bell? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of him and Google isn't helping me today...

Thanks!

You need to run a 4N71B as it will bolt up to your engine and requires no adapter plate. Also, it will handle up to 500hp in a 240Z with stock OEM bands and clutches. Valve body mods are required, but it is easy. I run this tranny in my twinturbo 240Z and have no problems at all under 19psi of boost.