HybridZ

New shop needed

tfreer85

I've got a couple of suggestions, but they're not for shops in the area, since I live thousands of miles away in another country....

I think you have separate issues to address.

1. Your car HAS to get out of that shop, ASAP. Since he's not buying your parts, how can he make progress if you leave it there.

2. I wouldn't look for ONE shop to do al the rest of the work. Consider segmenting the tasks. Bodywork to a good bodyshop, engine work and maybe other mechanical work to a competent mechanic, and EMS tuning to a good tuner. Wiring may be best done by the EMS guy or mechanic, depending on how far their competencies go.

I have yet to see a shop that excels at all of the above. They may DO it all, but well? AND, if they do, can they coordinate a schedule so that your car goes right from one section of the shop to another without a significant wait in between.

Also, overwhelming projects tend to be done only in down time, because they take up shop space for extended periods of time.

My qualifications to make these suggestions? I am an EMS tuner with a dyno, set up right next to a very competent mechanic and bodyshop. As an example, we got a car from another shop because no progress was being made, and the car was a specialty of the other shop. The car, now running and tuned about 80%, STILL took months, and there was progress every week. Assembling the engine, EMS wiring, getting all the other parts, getting the exhaust fabbed, suspension, clutch/flywheel, making stuff fit.... and finally EMS tuning.

No bodywork, BTW. If that had to be inserted, it could have stretched the timeline significantly.

Oh, BTW, before you get your car tuned, make sure that the car is mechanically, and electrically perfect. It will save you money at the tuner's and make dealing with him much easier. We HATE having to deal with bad wiring, and worn out/broken parts. That, and asking a tuner to tune around a problem is a waste of your money.

HTH!

So this is the plan of action for right now. I stopped by and was actually able to talk with him. Explained the contract we had in place etc. told him I'm not happy with the situation and the voided contract. The guy is wanting the publicity for this type of car, so I told him I'd set up a meeting with him (I was running off to work) and try to hash out some details. See what he is willing to offer me in return for the delays. If he is willing to do something of significance I'll give him about 2-3 weeks time to work on my car and have it running (not including paint or interior finishing). At the end of said period I will either be towing or driving the car out. If i tow it, he gets no recognition, no publicity, and no recommendation on any Z-car website from me. He's been shuffling other cars instead of working on mine. He said he'll be able to or will start working on my car full time as his only project starting next week. So I'm giving him a chance to prove himself and do the work. Its a win win for me, for he'll either finish the work I can't do, or I'll tow it home in the same condition as now. The waiting time gives me time to arrange my garage and get things all set up for the car. Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.

Sounds good, Tyson. You have taken a very reasonable approach. Hopefully he'll come through for you and you won't lose any more money than you already have. If he asks you for more money, reach out and grab his shirt pocket, than rip it off his shirt. That would answer his question. j/k

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Davy