HybridZ

FYI regarding Phantom Grip

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Below is the response from Phantom Grip regarding removing material from the blocks. My initial email is below their response. Sounds like everything is cool. 2thumbs.gif

Jon

DEAR SIR,

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. THE CHANGE YOU MADE IS SOMETIMES

NEEDED DO TO THE STOCK DIFF'S HAVING DIFFERENT SIZE GEARS. IT ONLY

MEANS THAT YOUR GEARS HAVE MORE MEAT ON THEM. THAT SHOULD MAKE THE GEARS

STRONGER. GOOD LUCK

PHANTOM GRIP!

> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

>

>

> Dear Phantom Grip,

>

> I installed your product in my R200 differential over the weekend and

it works great! I have 7 burnouts on it so far and get two nice patches

behind the car. I haven't made any hot turn exits yet, but I don't

forsee any problems.

>

> The question I have is regarding how I installed the Grip.

>

> It was more practical for me to remove 1mm from between the blocks

rather than from the spider gears. Aside from voiding my warranty, did

I do any long term damage to the blocks? I know I removed the heat

treatment from between the blocks but they don't touch. The springs,

though compressed a little more than stock aren't coil binding.

>

> Did I just build a bomb?

>

> Thanks for your input.

good to hear...

thats from janice there.. always CAPS ON WITH EMAIL....

hmm so if mine is tite i will just surface the PG and not the gears...

(go to a friends with a head resurfacer and do that)

if it turns out all of us need to do that i should have them make them with a .5mm or so less thickness, or i get them done locally. mine is this weekend (hopefully) looking forward to those 2 tire burnouts!!!!!!!! 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hi FL327, long time no see. I'll try some donuts (the big problem is finding a safe place to do it where I won't attract too much attention). What should I be listening/looking for exactly?

Jon

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Jumbo240z:

I'll try some donuts (the big problem is finding a safe place to do it where I won't attract too much attention).

Jon

Hmmm, lets see, a red flashy car running full chat spinning smokey burnouts, where can I not draw attention to this display... :Dcheers.gif Maybe find that cat playing drums in a culdesac... :D (darius video) Seriously though, nice work bro.

Regards,

Lone

mine is on the hoist and diffs apart. i need MORE Than 1mm. i took out one of the shims on a spider to see how much i need and with a shim out the pg barely fits (slide in by hand) the shim measures 1.1mm so if i want some space between the pg blocks then i want at least 1.5mm removed.

i have filed about .2mm from the inside of each PG piece and i have taken the spiders out and i will have a mill take a pass at them and remove .5mm from each of them. i didnt want to remove too much from the PG so i think its better to remove some from the spiders and some from the PG. i didnt want to remove .7mm from each spider.those spiders are F-ing hard- the file cant touch them at all.. comparatively the PG is soft.

FYI my diff internally looks like new. cant remember where i got it but it was either a new unit or fully rebuilt. the newer your diff the more you will need to remove from the pg unit/spiders.

i'm going to call pg but i think that they should make these 1mm thinner. it should fit into a worn diff with no mods (IMO) and if you have a new diff then minimal grinding. if it was off only .2 to .5mm you could file the PG but i think 1.5-2mm off the internal of the PG would affect the spring tension and i dont know if that is wise to file that much of the pG????would excessive pressure on the spiders cause the shims to wear on the spiders?

Guest Anonymous

I agree about the extra pressure. I'd just make sure the springs aren't coil binding. Also, IMO you just need enough space to keep the blocks from touching, 1mm or so?

Jon

i agree the ectra pressure might be good but at what point is there too much?

for me to have a 1mm space in the blocks i need 2.5 off of them or the spiders

if i take that much off the block i think i would deepen the holes for the spring seats by some of that amount

its in.. did a few burnouts last nite at the beginning of the new subdivision )(no houses yet) hard to tell but looks like it left one long mark and a partner mark half as long , so it did lock up somewhat.

did a few corners today and got hard on it and the rearend started to drift out so that would lead me to believe that both wheels were spinning as when one does it jsut makes noise but wont slide the ass end out usually..

i ground .5mm of each spider and about .8 off the pg inside portions..

the pg slid in with no springs in it but oncei put the springs in and the clips i had to hammer it in.

i put lube on it all for assy and that will likely need to mix with the oil so i expect that it might tighten up some and work better once the spiders wear to match the PG.pretty hard to hold a spider and grind it perfectly flat..

Jon, If you jack your car up can you holdone tire and spin the other? wonderin what sort of breakaway torque it has?

Guest Anonymous

SCCA, yes, if I hold one wheel I can turn the other without a lotta of force. I had my buddy (R0N) spin some donuts tonight (subdivision, few houses but people still came outside to see what was going on :eek: , we split fast) anyway, wide donuts, two lane residential wide, not pivot from the middle of the car tight. I feel the breakaway torque must be aorund 40--50lbs??? I have no way to measure it.

Just as you noticed, out-of-corner seems to grip good, slides out, straightens up. Weird, it must be the breakaway torque.

I think your assembly lube might have influenced the initial lock-up in the straight line stuff. Give it a dozen burn-outs or so, like you said.

I think I'll check the oil after a 100miles or so and see if there's crap in there.

Regardless, the install was easy, and it's better than peg leg.

Time will tell. Anyone else have any PG stories to tell?

Jon

the only drawback so far is no 3rd gear chirp :(

now it just accelerates :D

it used to smoke one tire when i shifted hard to second gear now it chirps and just takes off so i would say it is a definite improvement.

i took a corner at teh crest of a hill at low speed and stepped on it and could feel one tire unload so its not fully transferring weight (thats where a real LSD or quaiffe would work better I think)

but for hte $ its a definite improvement so far