HybridZ

Ignition Coil / No Spark

I looked in at my ignition coil and on the side of it I see this....well i don't know what it is but it is a small circular transistor mounted on a bracket on the side of the ignition coil. can anyone tell me what part that would be and what purpose it serves. It also looks like it could be a relay to control voltage to the coil itself (I do have 12 volts coming into this component). I am not getting a spark at the plugs or the ignition coil. I am trying to troubleshoot why I am not getting a spark.

Thank you ahead of time for your input.

-Ben

(1981 Datsun 280zx Turbo)

• Administrators
I looked in at my ignition coil and on the side of it I see this....well i don't know what it is but it is a small circular transistor mounted on a bracket on the side of the ignition coil.

Its the ignitor. Its purpose is to convert the low current output from the ECU to the high current necessary to run the coil.

Thanks so much Ron you really seem to know right away I was afraid people were going to be like what?!?!? I had another quick question do you know if there is any way that i could test that part because I just looked up a new one online and it costs 114 dollars so I would really like to be able to know if the part is shot before I spend all that on a new part.