HybridZ

what is the best tranmission for the money

Guest 2002sentraSER

Guest 2002sentraSER

i don't care about overdrive tranmissions because my car will not be a daily driver but i do care about it holding a lot of power over time i am planning a 350 with a supper charger at 10psi with slicks and the whole deal need advice on a tranny and i am on a modest buget at the moment

Guest Anonymous

I'm with Keith, light weight drag car, faaaaget about it, aftermarket glide with high stall converter, bang one gear and be on the other end before the tire smoke settles... :D

Regards,

Lone

The reason I said the 350 was that you can get one built locally (without a core!) for $400 and it'll handle 400+ hp easily. A TH400 is probably not needed for all but 500+ hp engines. But a used one in good shape might be the cheapest way out. I guess I just like having 3 gears, but a PG makes alot of sense in a light car like a Z.

Isn't the 400 ratio a bit steep for a street Z with a 3.545? I'd think the 350 would be better.

Oops, I was talking about automatic trannies, as were the others.

I'd say look for a Super T-10 or Muncie M-22 if you want a manual. These don't have overdrive, but are pretty strong. As for a clutch, there are many. I'd call McLeod and talk to them about what you need as far as a flywheel, clutch PP and disk.

Guest 2002sentraSER

do they have any other stong tranmissions that are really stong that are a 4 or 5 speed for that price and where is that from where i am and can you get me a number for them if so i would realy appreciate it thanks

Guest Anonymous

If no overdrive will do, I agree M21 or M22 Muncie 4sp, it'll live behind a supercharger, the only other ones are the T56 six speed, Tremec 3550 TKO I think would work fine as well. (there are a few old Doug Nash trannies to, but they're basically muncie's with an extra gear but its not overdrive, with the Z's gearing though I'd say a nash 5sp is out of the picture. The only issue with the muncie is the linkage is on the side which puts the shifter in a non stock position in a Z car. I believe www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com has brand new T10's for fairly reasonable. A old 4sp bellhousing and a push hydraulic clutch or hydraulic throwout bearing and you'd be in business. Sorry thought you were talking about automatics before.

Regards,

Lone

Guest 2002sentraSER

how expensive would a strong auto be with a shift kit and would it be faster or slower than a manuel for the dragstrip

Guest Anonymous

Automatics are typically usually consistently faster than stick cars. Less time lost on each shift.

Regards,

Lone

Okay Sentra, there seems to be some confusion here. Just to clear things up Here is a list of GM style automatic transmissions.

Power Glide (Older 2 speed, still the choice of many drag racers)

TH-350 (3 speed, CHEAP and strong will hold up to what you want if built)

TH-400 (3 speed, Heavy duty version of the TH-350. More weight and power loss but much stronger)

200R4 (4 speed overdrive, kind of like a TH-350 with overdrive. They are getting hard to find)

700R4 (4 speed overdrive, Kind of like the TH-400 with overdrive. Probably most popular for swap)

If you are wanting to bracket race with your car I would suggest an automatic. It is very hard (if not impossible) to be competitive in a manual. The swap also seems a little more simple with an automatic as well. I am going with an auto myself but that is just because I cant afford a T-56 six speed. Mine will be a street car.

Guest 2002sentraSER

i am building it to be a drag car but i want to be able to have fun with it also if you know what i mean i want to be able to shift because it will feel more like a race car but i want to get the most for the least amount of money because i am on a very small budget, and i want to go realy fast in a slick looking car(datsun z). like high 10's low 11's.