HybridZ

Swap N/A AFM inners to Turbo AFM How To

amc_oldsarge

Interesting, someone just gave you the same response I did on zcar.com. I'm telling you, the steps are the same for the turbo AFM as they are for the cressida. Go ahead and don't take my word for it again, but I've been working on Z's a long time. not quite as long as some on here, but long enough to have 4 at home ranging from 77 to 83 in various states of rebuild.

This has nothing to do with not taking your word for it or how long you've been working on Z's. I've been driving and working on my z-car since you were four years old.

I'm just inquiring on the EXACT swap I'm trying to accomplish. If there isn't any documentation other than the one on Blue's site, I will run with it.

Who's calling names? You asked a question on two forums and got the same response from different people and still wanted something different. No one is calling names, just trying to figure out why the given response isn't good enough. The original article and most of the pics still there are from the 280z N/A to 280ZX Turbo AFM swap. The cressida uses the same L-jetronics EFI system. Use that as a reference and read some other articles on his site for some good info.

• Administrators

Alright boys, take a deep breath and ... hug.gif

So I get the impression that amc_oldsarge feels that not all AFMs are created at least somewhat equal and he is looking for a "Z specific", N/A to Turbo AFM guts interchange write up? I can appreciate the desire for accuracy specific to his project.

With my experience in tuning, tinkering, and altering, the OE Z car EFI since the late ‘80s and in looking over that link, I feel very confident is saying that write up directly applies to your N/A to Turbo guts interchange. It is very concise and should serve your N/A to Turbo guts interchange well. :2thumbs:

For what its worth, I spent a great deal of time messing with the OE Z car EFI, tried eliminating the AFM all together from the air stream, built a throttle actuated AFM, added switches to the throttle linkage to fool the ECU to adjust the injector pulse widths under specific circumstances, played with different TPS’s that have the WOT switch kick in at different throttle positions, fuel pressure pulsation dampers, etc. Most of my hair brained endeavors have been covered on this forum over the years. shy.gif At any rate, early on, I learned that essentially ALL AFM,s whether they be original Bosch units used in BMW, Porsche, Volvo, or the Japanese knock offs used in Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, (our Z cars), etc, are essentially the same in architecture and design. There were subtle differences such as different resistances across the wipe boards, volume of air they are designed to measure, i.e. physical size, etc, but physically are all pretty much the same in design and the techniques used to swap parts from one to other pretty much applies to them all. If anyone knows of an instance or application this doesn’t hold true from personal experience, please share as I have been making this claim since the late ‘80s and would hate to keep perpetuating inaccurate info.

Hope that helps and good luck with your project,

Paul

Naviathan, I wasn't referring to you when I questioned the need for name calling. Russell (AKA Dtsnlvrs) told me not to be dense (which are PROMISE you is about as far from the truth as you can get). I did find your litany on not taking your word (and other's) based on the length of time you have been working on Z's and the number of car's you have, a bit silly, but I digress. I also don't understand why making the same post on two different forums a bad thing. You can see by the number of posts I have here at hybridz.org that I don't come around that often, but I do post quite often on the other forum. That highlights why I posted here, I was hoping to get the information I was looking for from someone here who doesn't read the other forum. Just because you read both forums doesn't mean everyone does.

Paul, thanks for the additional information. I will proceed with Blue's instructions.

Thanks Again,

Kyle