HybridZ

I bought my 240z with the wrong window :(

My driver window never went all the way down and seemed to have a lot of play on the back side. I pulled the window and regulator out and checked everything. The only problem obvious was that the rear window track was off.

I put it back together, this time with all 3 tracks connected, and the alignment was way off. It now tilted forward about 20*. After scratching my head for a while it dawned on me that the window may have been intentionally left off the track to get it to go all the way up.

Ive found through some searches that their was a different window for 240, 260 and 280 z's, but also read something about possibly having a door from a different model car as well. Is their any way tell which window I need. In one thread zcar had mentioned cataloging the differences but nothing shows up.

It's not the easiest way, but you can pull your passenger side window and compare the tracks from one side to the other.

You're right, that definitely doesn't sound like the easiest way :icon45:

I know its a long shot, but it would be great if some people had pictures of the window :mrgreen:

You would get better results if you posted some pictures of the window you have, and specify the year of your 240. Pictures of the door and window mechanism would be helpful, because it is possible that you have a later door (they will swap as late as 76) but an "original" piece of glass.

If you google xenon s30 you should find a website that has many different years' factory service manuals, there might be line drawings in them. I would include the 77-78s in your search just because the glass would be close enough in rough shape to try (I am putting myself in the PO's shoes, trying to imagine how he might have improvised) MSA or black dragon catalogs may prove useful as well.

Ill take some pictured of it tonight and get them posted up.

Talking to a local guy he said you can tell which door you have by the door beam in it, but not having seen the inside of any other 240z doors I dont have much perspective on whats big and whats small.

The window is a perfect fit in the door, and sealed up without any leaks. It just seems to be the angle of the roller tracks that are different.

With just the window in the door no regulator came you move/adjust (lossen nuts holding tracks) on the front rear tracks so window moves up down like it should. Then mark loction of tracks..add regulator in.. If I remember right there are stops for the up and down travel limits also.

lube all moving parts and tracks..

Heres some pictures I took today showing my fitment problems

1) First picture shows how the window looks with all rollers attached. A little off ehh?

2) This picture shows how the car was, and what I assume was done so they could seal the window. You cant see, but the window is all the way up. You can see the arm with the rear window roller is about 2 inches above its track.

3) Full window shot

4) The measurment from end to end on the rails, Im seeing 16 9/16" which is closest to the 16 5/8" shown on the Zparts pictures indicated it is a 70-75 window.

Picture 019 (Small)_thumb.jpg

Picture 009 (Small)_thumb.jpg

Picture 008 (Small)_thumb.jpg

Picture 002 (Small)_thumb.jpg

In my experience, getting the window regulators adjusted in these cars is a witch of a job, even when you have all the right parts. Don't get discouraged if you don't get it right on the third or fourth assembly, because sometimes it takes that long before everything falls into place. Just be patient when it doesn't work right and try again.

Good luck!

I have definitely run into a bent regulator, and it is an absolute bear to diagnose unless you simply remove the entire bloody thing and compare it to another one. the likelihood of two regulators being bent in the same way is not incredibly high; most "spares" came from working windows or they would have been pitched.

Good luck.