HybridZ

My car with weber carburators won't start

Hello to everyone i need some help with my, car the car is a 1977 280z with weber carburators at first when they were installed they work fine;

but now the car won't start the engine turns but it won't start my friend told me to check each of the spark plugs to see if they were wet,and after that to clean each one of them i did that but still it won't start any idea does any of you could give me any idea? please .....:-(

Hello, welcome on the board :)

How were your plugs? fouled/all black? Did you clean them or change them with new ones?

Check also your ignition, see if you have sparks.

Then I would check your gas / gas lines / Gas tank & gas filter are OK.

Do you have the right gas pressure? If it is in a 77 s30, you might have a electrical fuel pump; you might need a regulator to reduce the fuel pressure. It should be 3-3.5 psi.

If you did not start the car for while, your carbs bowls are empty. You'll need to crank the engine couple of time to fill them up (obviously you've done this).

Have you try to pump the throttle pedal to bring some fresh gas thru the accel. pump prior to start the engine?

After those basic checks, I would review the ignition; the distributor might have slipped. Your timing might be off of the "ok" range.

If you'd give more info about your car, it might help people to spot your issue. You did not give enough ;)

Actually the only thing i replaced was the fuel pump the electric one for a mecanical one, today was the first day for my car with the weber carburatorsat the begining they work ok ,the spark plugs were alittle black but they were not wet i haven't check the spark the car cranks the starter two i also put some gas and starter fluid in the carburators but it won't start i guess i have to check the coil and the spark on the spark plugs also the ignitor is new.

Glad you figure it out. Mechanical pump is usually good enough for webers (I'm running L28, webers & mech pump ;) ) Yours was probably defective, the membrane is most likely shot.

If it is backfiring, it is most likely your ignition. The explosion in your cylinder does not occur as it should.

Try to switch plugs and see if problem is following the plugs. if it is, you would have to buy new ones.

If you fouled your plugs in the past, people usually suggest to replace them.

I have DVG Webers on my Z and it really does not like to start on the mechanical fuel pump. I have my electric pump wired so I can turn it on and prime the system and start the car. On average my car sits about a month at a time between the times I drive it. It likes a shot of starting fluid in each carb and the will start right up. After it has started I turn off the electric pump and let the mechanical pump do the work. After it has run I seldom have any problems, but I do know where the electric pump switch is.

If I use the accelerator pumps it tends to backfire when I get too much raw fuel in the bottom of the traps. These carbs are not the best layout.