HybridZ

MSII Confusion

aziza z

I was hoping you guys could curb some confusion for me here. First of all here is my setup.

stock l28 from a 78 280z

Jsk fuel rail (o ring style)

280zxt turbo distributer

HEI Module (4 Pin)

Ford Lightening injectors (440cc), I know its over kill but its what i had at the time to work with the fuel rail.

Stock FPR

240sx tps

I think thats pretty much it.

The plan is to hook up MSII extra so ican control both spark and fuel with ms (full standalone). This is going to be my daily driver. Anyway. I bought the msII for a decent price from a freand that never used it. Already assembeled and all. I was reading at

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

That I need to

• Remove the jumper from JS10 to IGN (if exists)
  • Jumper IGBTIN to JS10
  • Jumper IGBTOUT to IGN

Seems straight forward however I dont see anything written there about the HEI module. I dont know if it matters but should I still follow those steps? Just want to make sure before i F*** with the pcb board. Im not sure if it has any relvence at all.

Also i hooked up setup according to this diagram exactly.

8239mss_schematic.jpg

Just lately I wondered if i ever needed the HEI module to begin with. The other route would have been direct control i supppose.

(MIGHT HELP OTHERS!)

Another concern in the build of mine is that using the 280zxt distributer it and I dont have adjustment on my distributer. Its solidly mounted onto the front cover. There was a mount that use to go inbetween the N/a distributer and the front cover but my zxt distriubter would reach that oilrod thing (sorry dont know that name) so i removed it. I then used the bottom of the vr distibuter (so i didnt have to change the oilrod thing) and it went in fine. This is fine except that it might be trouble when setting timing. I pm'd moby about this and his recomendation was

I helped Prox do the same conversion on his car. The spacer has to be removed like you say. I don't remember if the dizzy base itself has slots so it can be adjusted?? Its been too long. If not just put it where you can and then start adjusting the trigger angle in megatune and seeing where you are with a timing light. Trigger angle should be somewhere between 45 and 75 approximately. Set fixed timing to 10 BTDC before starting this procedure. Basically use the trigger angle to adjust the dizzy instead of rotating it' date=' if that makes sense.[/quote']i still have to set timing so i havnt tried this yet but ill post when I do.

Im also going to upload my .msq If someone can double check my settings to make sure its right I would appreciate it. So far this has been a frustrating but learning experiance. btw this is zmancos but with changes for my motor (injector size and stuff). If there is something wrong i would appreciate the feedback!

ign2_thumb.JPG

ign_thumb.JPG

1.zip

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that diagram is for ms 1, Also you shouldn't need the HEI module like you thought. I used the same diagram with my install and had to change a couple of things up. I used a volvo ignitor to get mine sparking. The turbo dist should have slots in the bottom of it for adjusting timing. You may have to take the cover off of the megasquirt to see how it was set to fire from whomever it was purchased and put together by.

haha.

Sorry about that. Yea i got a couple of z cars. Just sold my 71 240z. This is for my 78 NA L28 280z (soon to be daily I hope!). The ls1 280z is officially "special occasions only" car. Special occasions could be anything haha.

i might be slightly retarted.. or I havent been keeping up..

but i thought you had a 240z with a LSx motor?!

Do you have a 2nd Z?

It says in the link above to change 'Coil Charging Scheme' to 'Standard Coil Charge'. However I cannot find coil charging scheme in my megatune 2.25 p3. Is there something I am missing? Am I looking in the wrong place? Do i have the correct version of megatune?

What does the code version say on your megasquirt unit?. Is it 2.25 code?. Also your going to have to find out what version you have. So you may have to read more of moby's write up or go to msefi.com to find out what version you have. I think with version 3.0 you don't have to change anything in megatune.

Alright so heres what I did. I went ahead and put the jumpers according to the link in my first post. I also got rid of the hei module. After doing some reading I believe I no longer need it. Anyway. I set the timing and everything but I still cannot get the car to even idle. What am I doing wrong?

Heres a copy of the updated msq file.

Any help is appreciated.

1.1.zip

I can't open your file but lets start with a few questions.

Is your coil sparking?.

Are your injectors clicking?.

Are your injectors spraying fuel?.

Are the spark plugs wet?.

Does megatune show your ignition timing?.

Do you have a fuel map and ignition map in your tables?.

Is your coil sparking?. yes

Are your injectors clicking?. I see the pulse width in the megatune so i want to say yes.

Are your injectors spraying fuel?. I see the pulse width in the megatune so i want to say yes.

Are the spark plugs wet? no

Does megatune show your ignition timing?. yes

Do you have a fuel map and ignition map in your tables? yes

Ill double check on the fuel though just to make sure.

Although I have spark ill mention this anyway (dont know if its important at all).

The 'Coil Charging Scheme' was suppose to be set to 'Standard Coil Charge'. However that option is missing in my megatune. (megatune 2.25 p3). I figured i did something wrong during installation, so i reinstalled it. It was there. Then when i uploaded the "MSII extra" software it dissapears from the menu. Will this be a problem?

Is there something I am missing? Am I looking in the wrong place? Do i have the correct version of megatune? Thanks.

If you have spark and a timing light shows it is reasonable for cranking (like 8-15 btdc) then I would start working with the fuel instructions for starting. Making sure the enigne has enough air to idle and start adjusting required fuel until it starts and idles.

Otherwise I am not much help since I haven't used MSII-extra. I don't know what the menu options are.

In general I would be concerned about setting dwell correctly if your ignitor/coil setup requires it. I would make sure with a timing light while cranking that timing is good. You say the plugs are not wet so if all else for spark looks good then start adding fuel or figure out if the injectors are really firing. I usually just put a finger on them or the stethoscope to tell if the are clicking.

ALright guys. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Timing is good for cranking. I now think my problem is fuel. I do not hear the injectors clicking. I put a test light on the + side of the injector and it is always on when the ignition is on. I put it on the - side of the injector and the same thing happens. I dont believe that should be. Has anyone had that problem before?

I have the injectors wired like this:

280zxt_relay_wiring.gif

Are the injectors high impedence or low impedence?. Low impedence injectors need to have resistors added to the injector wiring to work properly. If the injectors ohm resistance is low when checked with an ohm meter, you have low impedence injectors. You also have to change your settings in megatune for them to work.

High impedence injectors don't need the resistors.

Injectors are off of a ford lightning. (470cc) 0280150558. They are high impedance. On the front of the mega squirt when the ignition is clicked on all the light flicker for a second (i have read that this is the correct thing that should happen). During cranking the led closest to the plug comes on and off rapidly. None of the other lights are on during cranking.

Ok the top light closest to the plug should flash quickly when cranking and when running for the first few minutes. It is the warm up enrichment light and will turno off when enrichment is finished.

The light underneath of it should be on solid when cranking and running.

Ok the top light closest to the plug should flash quickly when cranking and when running for the first few minutes. It is the warm up enrichment light and will turno off when enrichment is finished.

The light underneath of it should be on solid when cranking and running.

That light works. There is no solid light next to it however.