HybridZ

MSII Confusion

aziza z

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you set your PWM time threshold to 25.4 for those High impedence injectors?.

It's just hard to try to suggest things when your using ms Extra code and a lot of us are using ms2 3.0 or earlier ms1.

Have you searched for your problem at MSEFI.com?. I think you should search for why that second light does not come on. Also I made up my own relay setup so I can't help with the relay board that you have.

By the way I love the color of that Candi Z. I do nissan training in Costa Mesa off of Harbor Blvd. Maybe next time I go out there I can check it out in person?.

Did you set your PWM time threshold to 25.4 for those High impedence injectors?.

It's just hard to try to suggest things when your using ms Extra code and a lot of us are using ms2 3.0 or earlier ms1.

Have you searched for your problem at MSEFI.com?. I think you should search for why that second light does not come on. Also I made up my own relay setup so I can't help with the relay board that you have.

By the way I love the color of that Candi Z. I do nissan training in Costa Mesa off of Harbor Blvd. Maybe next time I go out there I can check it out in person?.

Maybe I jumped the gun with this MSII EXTRA stuff. Im sure the regular MSII could have done just fine for me. Kinda got me wondering if i should just go to the regualar code.

About the PWM time threshold. It is already set to 25.4

I have searched the megasquirt forum everyday. Helped a little but not really. I think I will post my questions there as well. Im pretty desperate at this point.

Thats for the compliments on the ls z. If you are ever in the area send me a pm so u can see it. I am two miles from the nissan dealer. Hope fully ill have it off jackstands again soon (new wheels and coilovers in the works). FUnny how you mention that car. To be honest i had a much easier time working on that ls motor than the L series motor. :cry2:

If you send an e-mail to Matt Cramer about your problem he usually get back to people quickly. Just get the e-mail to him tonite and you may get a reply first thing in the morning. Let him know your using ms2 extra and your setup.

Did you try tapping the outside of the injectors with a screwdriver and hammer?. Sometimes injectors need that jolt to get them firing after they have been sitting a while. I have had to do this with brand new injectors from nissan and mazda.

Double check and make sure the injectors and or relay are powered by a source that is on when cranking. If that doesn't do anything, I am thinking your injector relay or wiring is the problem.

I feel stupid for asking this question, but it might help.

I was taking a closer look at my injectors and i noticed the "+" and "-" symbols on them. I didnt notice that during installation and just made sure i wired a + and _ to each injector. I figured as long as each injector get a + and a - it should work (closes the circuit i guess you can call it). Does it matter that the + side of my wire (from relay board) goes to the + marking on the injector? Or does it not matter as long as it get it. I dont know if its clear what im trying to say.

Also i still have the 1k resistors wiring like the diagram posted earlier. Could these be causing the problem? Do i need them for my setup?

Just shooting in the dark at this point people. I know im close.

When mega tune shows pulse width, does that necessarily mean that the injectors are firing?

If you have an RPM signal, yes. If the RPM drops out, the PW setting will stay on what it was doing before the RPM dropped out for a few seconds before falling to zero.

Do the injector LEDs on a Stimulator blink when you bench test the Megasquirt?

Do the injector LEDs on a Stimulator blink when you bench test the Megasquirt?

I dont have a stimulator.

A new thing just popped up. After cranking the car, theres a loud buzzing noise coming from the relay closest to the connector on the relay board when the key is still powered on. I thought it was the relay. So i swapped it for a new one. The new one does the same buzzing noise.:cry2:

I dont have a stimulator.

A new thing just popped up. After cranking the car, theres a loud buzzing noise coming from the relay closest to the connector on the relay board when the key is still powered on. I thought it was the relay. So i swapped it for a new one. The new one does the same buzzing noise.:cry2:

That's the IAC relay. If you've configured it for a PWM IAC valve, you need to remove and jumper the relay. The IAC relay is only used for on/off IAC valves.

That's the IAC relay. If you've configured it for a PWM IAC valve, you need to remove and jumper the relay. The IAC relay is only used for on/off IAC valves.

I dont have an iac valve. Should i just unplug the relay then? The buzzing (which is actually really loud) stops when its not in place.

Ok so a guy on the ms forum mentions this:

"The two pins of the injector are always connected, with usually a maximum of 15 ohm resistance. When you probe the negative side of the injector with a test light, you are just seeing the power coming into it via the + pin, running through the injectors relay windings, and then out to earth through your test light. If you unplug the injector and probe the negative side of the plug on your loom with the test light, you should see no power."

So I did some testing with the test light.

I unplugged each injector and the negative side of each injector with a test light still shows power coming into it! that doesnt make sence if its getting power through the + side of the injector as both of them are live. Is there a setting in megatune i might have over looked?

Actually, you're seeing power coming into the + side of the injector, traveling through its coil, and coming out on the - side of the injector.

I tested it after unplugging it from the injector. But its still getting power on the - side of the injector plug even when its unplugged from the injector itself.

Did you have all the injector connectors unplugged at the same time for your test? The way they are wired they could share some connections if you wired them just like the picture you posted earlier in this thread. If you test one but another is still plugged on it is possible you will see 12 volts.

When mega tune shows pulse width, does that necessarily mean that the injectors are firing?

NO!

It means there is a signal from the ECU for them to fire---to verify the injectors are actually receiving that signal, you have to use a VOM, noid light, or maybe even stick a screwdriver or mechanic's stethescope to the injector bodies and see if you can hear them 'clicking' open and closed.

If you don't, then the problem is in the wiring between the ECU sending the signal, and the Injectors (ECU is the injector's ground path...) or the power circuit to the "+" side of the injector connections.

Polarity technically matters, but it should cycle with the connections reversed---it just won't work 'properly' the car can run with reverse polarity solenoids, just maybe not well.

My guess is since the plugs are dry, either hte injectors are not opening or you have pulsewidth too low. The suggestion to spray ether (starting fluid) in the inlet is a good one---it tells you that your spark indeed is happening at the right time to roll the engine. And narrows it to 'fuel delivery' which I think is the point you have reached at this point.

The problems like this generally end up being wiring related, and this would be my bet here as well.

I had the same issue with the injectors was brief though, what worked for me is I put the injectors in a test mode in megatune. I think thats under tools but you are running ms2 extra I dont know how different it is. Anyways you have to power cycle the unit and make sure you dont set the opening close time too high you can fry your injectors. Than you can here them going off, you have to set the time,#times to open and close and pwm value. Be sure to set your MS back to normal from the settings. GOODLUCK and I dont think you need noid lights because in the test mode it doesnt power anything else and you can hear them going off> DISCLAIMER you are putting fuel in engine if you have fuel pressure I suggest release fuel in rail and it wont burn and i mean allot of fuel Isuggest releasing the pressure and dont run the test to long.

edit I vividly remember doing this and i wasnt firing injectors before , after i did the test it like unstuck them though i had lots of fuel thrown in cylinders! so be careful dont set it too HIgh