HybridZ

L26 Running 240z Carbys with SM Needles?

stevo_gj

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a pair of 240z SU carbys to clean and use to replace my flat top 260z carbys. My engine is a stock L26. The SUs are in fairly good condition and I really only intend to replace the gaskets, but a few people have suggested that I look into SM Needles.

I have searched hybridz trying to learn more about SM needles, but so far I have only found that they are not ideal to be running on an L24, but are perfect for an L28. No one has mentioned how they perform on an L26.

The needles on the SUs seem to be in good condition, but I wouldn't remind replacing them with these SM needles if there really is a power boost.

What do you guys think?

Merry Christmas,

Steve

The SM needles are widely regarded as too rich by many on this forum, for even a stock L28. The original N54 needles are fine for the L26, and even good for the L28 too, as long as the carbs are set up right. Start with the N54 needles, and if you need more fuel (use a good wideband to determine this) then look into the british SU needles for something between the N54 and the SM.

• 9 years later...
On 12/25/2008 at 6:17 PM, Xnke said:

The SM needles are widely regarded as too rich by many on this forum, for even a stock L28. The original N54 needles are fine for the L26, and even good for the L28 too, as long as the carbs are set up right. Start with the N54 needles, and if you need more fuel (use a good wideband to determine this) then look into the british SU needles for something between the N54 and the SM.

+1 SM Needles didnt work well for me on a 260z L26 engine with rebuilt dome top carbs. 

Far too rich at idle, and if you lean down to get that right- the top end beyond 2600 RPM suffers.

I’m happier with the N57 needles and the carbys synched with a meter and fuel/mixture set by the lift piston methods, and then a colour-tune.  Wants to get up and go now, fuel economy is better tham with SMs.   Plus - my eyes dont water from a fat fuel/air mixture. 

• 4 years later...

For anyone interested… I have a ‘73 240Z but with a 260Z engine.  Rebuilt E88 Head, new valves etc…. I got dome top SUs rebuilt by ZTherapy. They supplied SMs as part of the deal.  After messing around a lot, I went back to N57s - closer to stock 240Z needles.   After doing sone research & looking into it, today I just ordered a pair of BC needles.  I could post specs  and differences if anyone has an opinion on this move.  I think this car had twin HS6 SUs:
AUSTIN HEALEY 3000 BJ7  ORIGINAL SU METERING NEEDLES:  'BC' 

-Richard

6 hours ago, Firepower said:

For anyone interested… I have a ‘73 240Z but with a 260Z engine.  Rebuilt E88 Head, new valves etc…. I got dome top SUs rebuilt by ZTherapy. They supplied SMs as part of the deal.  After messing around a lot, I went back to N57s - closer to stock 240Z needles.   After doing sone research & looking into it, today I just ordered a pair of BC needles.  I could post specs  and differences if anyone has an opinion on this move.  I think this car had twin HS6 SUs:
AUSTIN HEALEY 3000 BJ7  ORIGINAL SU METERING NEEDLES:  'BC' 

-Richard

I’m just using a butt dyno and going on feel of how the car accelerates and cruises on the freeway. Any comments appreciated. 
04A26BF2-014C-4D37-A632-3DDB9B5B96F3.jpeg.db7b66c496267f6edeedfaea685d08f6.jpeg
F202D5D1-6D19-4303-83D8-B6459BF613B7.jpeg.b17b514f7c2e60252d972bd2439a4fdb.jpeg

Edited by Firepower
Updated Data & Graphs (enlarged)