HybridZ

4spd OD starion tranny swap into 280zxt

spork

I've got an 83 280zxt with the usual mods (intercooler, rasied boost to 15psi, cold air intake, 370cc injectors, 3 inch mandrel bent downpipe and exhaust, ACT street modified clutch, and of course a lot of little stuff to make sure the rest of the motor is properly tuned for max performance.) Anyways, I've been think about swapping in a 4sp auto like is discribed in the articles section of zcar.com (http://www.zcar.com/articles/twheel/4spdauto/)and I was wondering who has done it, what tranny they origianlly had and how happy they were with the swap. Plus, hows it holding up? and how many ponies are you putting to the tranny? I currently have the BW 5spd in mine and I was thinking an auto tranny would be a lot more ideal for consistant racing and possibly a better overall ET at the track. I want to hear all sides of this, pluses and minus. Thanks guys. plus, is there anything I should know about that this article doesn't include?

James

From 240 Turbo's homepage...

"TRANSMISSION

4N71B 4-speed auto from 88 Dodge Conquest (stock OEM rebuild)*

Modified Valve body (Level 10 Performance provided mods needed)

4N71B 4-speed bell housing from 82 NIssan Maxima

4N71B pump from 82 Nissan Maxima

Protorque 5700 RPM custom converter (lowered to 4300 shortly)

82 Maxima Flexplate

*OEM REBUILD GOOD FOR 500+ HP ON 240Z WITH VALVE BODY MODS"

Just something for you to think about until you get ahold of him.

I just recently took out my tranny to have the converter(stall) lowered. Upon removing the converter there a bit of crap in the oil so I had the unit rebuilt. The crap was from boosting in OD and had worn the drum slightly. As far as 1st through 3rd gear they were in decent shape. I was running all stock clutches and bands. This rebuild I went to Red performance clutches and had the bands lined with Kevlar. I can get you the stuff for fairly cheap. Due to time constraints I did not get a chance to install the Kevlar bands and use the Borg Warner OEM bands. I run 17psi on my twinturbo setup and have no problems with it banging the gears. I WOULD NOT use Protorque for your converter as they are a bunch of BASTARDS and would not listen to my suggestions. Long story, but I think they are friends with Top End Performance. I can provide you with all necessary valve body mods and you will want to use the tranny from an 84-87 Starion as the later 88-89 requires some mods.

well, I just wanted to thank you guys for responding, It sounds to me like this is the way I'm going in the future. I've still gotta come up with the pieces and I like to shop around so I'm sure it'll be awhile before I even come up with a tranny. Once again thanks guys, and I'm sure I'll be talking to you guys again when I get closer to doing it.

James