HybridZ

280Z Wont start. Help identify!

I went to start it this morning and got no reading from the battery gauge and car had no power. I figured the battery was dead so I tried to jump it off. When I sat in the Z, I noticed it was smoking really bad from the battery side. It was thoughs two white square boxes in front of the battery(on the firewall). Both were smoking REALLY bad.

What are these white boxes and what would this mean?

I took off the plastic covers and one of the wires was corroded VERY badly and just crumbled when I touched it. I checked the battery and the battery is dead. Would this bad wire cause the battery to die while the cars not running?

I just replaced that wire but havent tried jumping it again.

Also, while im at it. I have tried to jump this car off before and when I took off the jumper cables, the car would die. I then jumped it with another car battery and when I removed the connector, the car shut off. Does this mean my alternator is bad or are these cars designed with the battery cables being the main curcait?

The battery is new. Mabey a month old.

I just went and jump started it. I let it run a few seconds. When I unplug the jumper cables, the engine revs down and starts a puddering motion. I jumped in the car to give it a little gas and there was noises under the hood that sounded like a light bulb was blowing out(the car doesnt have bulbs in it so its got to be a solenoid or something). Any idea what these noises were?

The battery gauge now reads half way so the alternator is working I suppose.