HybridZ

turbo kit on e-bay $475

big-phil

Are you guys nutts?

"LAST ABOUT 20,000 MILES BEFORE NEEDING A REBUILD"

you guys will be changing your turbo-charger every 4 - 6 oil changes.

you guys will be changing your turbo-charger 3 times for every 1 spark plug change.

there are cars that have turbos that could use a clean-up, but don't even need a rebuild @ 150,000 miles.

20,000 is a joke. Probably doesn't even have bearings, nevermind journal or ball. And where would you get them at that point anyway? You can't rebuild it yourself, you'd have to bring it to a tractor/truck shop that deals with all kinds of makes and models and has mismatch parts in a bin somewhere.

You can rebuild it. Only reason I see in taking it to a shop for a rebuild is because of something being off balance, and/or the turbo in question that needs rebuilding is a "non floating bearing" turbo (ball bearing). Would be wise to do that if you mod it by changing out a compressor wheel/housing like I have, but I'm cheap :P

Yes 20,000 miles is a joke. From what I can tell, seals starting to go and starts leaking, or something catastrophically goes wrong, like the compressor wheel shattering. :P

IIRC bigphil you rebuilt your holset, correct?

I purchased a Chinese hand grenade (Was called a T3/T4 hybrid) and strapped it to the side of an N/A RB30 and it went fine, manifold, turbo and wastegate cost me $500AUD and all were new,

Ran the car for about 5-10,000km's without any drama's, besides burning the paint on my bonnet :-)!

If you are going to buy an EBAY turbo with some strange name, I would avoid purchasing the ones that cost 75-90% of the price of a brand new Garrett - there are a few of those on EBAY AUST - that seems pointless to me!

I have heard lots of similar to stories to my personal experience!

You can rebuild it. Only reason I see in taking it to a shop for a rebuild is because of something being off balance, and/or the turbo in question that needs rebuilding is a "non floating bearing" turbo (ball bearing). Would be wise to do that if you mod it by changing out a compressor wheel/housing like I have, but I'm cheap :P

Yes 20,000 miles is a joke. From what I can tell, seals starting to go and starts leaking, or something catastrophically goes wrong, like the compressor wheel shattering. :P

IIRC bigphil you rebuilt your holset, correct?

you can rebuild any turbo. i had my z31 turbo rebuilt. the point is that you'll be rebuilding it more often than you should... about 10 times more often.

I wouldn't chance that if I really cared about the engine or the car, or if the engine was a known beefy powerplant, like tony's RB30, that you could find in the junkyard, swap in a weekend, and be only 400 dollars or so out in engines, beer, and trips to the parts store.

also, if i did buy the turbo, the first thing I would do is take it to a turbo rebuilder and get his input on what needs changing, and probably put a different set of wheels and have the shaft inspected for pitting or manufacturing defects.

It would cost about 300 bucks or a little more but then you have a turbo that is worth using, in my opinion.

also, if i did buy the turbo, the first thing I would do is take it to a turbo rebuilder and get his input on what needs changing, and probably put a different set of wheels and have the shaft inspected for pitting or manufacturing defects.

It would cost about 300 bucks or a little more but then you have a turbo that is worth using, in my opinion.

Assuming the materials themselves weren't substandard. You might end up with a whole new CHRA and machinework to straighten the housings (if they could be). In the end you would have a Precision priced turbo.