HybridZ

Z33 6sp transmissions

Pharaohabq

Okay, I've searched, and I've heard it said both ways, that an older 04-06 6sp MT WILL bolt up to a 2007 Vq35. I've also heard it WILL NOT. So what is it? will it or won't it.

according to the dealer, in nov 06 they changed the trannys to a new part #, but even my dealer could not tell me if it would fit.

If someone could post a photo of the front of a Z33 tranny I could try to match up the holes to see if it would fit.

It would be good to know what they've changed between the years. it could just be additional sensors? Maybe an inprovement over the 03 faulty bearing issue? Lets see what we can figure.

thanks

Phar

I wouldn't think that any car manufacturer would engineer a totally new tranny for a engine that is in pretty much available in almost all their cars. I would look up the part number for the dust shield (or tranny cover or what ever name it goes by). If thats the same in all models, then it is most likely that the bolt pattern is the same.

Remember, the 2007 G35 coupe still had the VQ35DE Hi-Rev, while the 07' 350Z and G35 Sedan recieved the VQ35HR, so that may be the reason for the conflicting info you've seen.

From what I've read, the VQ35HR and VQ37HR both use the VQ40 block, which is taller than the VQ35DE blocks, so the bellhousing pattern is different

Do a search on google for vq35 vq40 comparison, then read the 2nd thread (transmission options on the VQ40DE)

So you either source a 6-speed from the VQ40 or HR motors, or possibly buy a VQ40 bellhousing and a 03' - 06' 350Z or G35 ( or 07' G35 coupe) MT and swap the bellhousing out

I work for nissan and I can tell you for a fact that the vq35hr tranny is definitely different from the vq35, as it uses an internal slave cylinder and has the starter located on the opposite side of the tranny then the previos trans. As far as I know, the 04 style trans is different that the 06 style trans as they changed the synchos from a steel material in the earlier ones (which led to lots of grinding problems) to a brass material. When we were changing out the earlier trannies to the new updated versions, Nissan was making us change the clutch disk to a new one to match the new version trans, so It must be different in some way. Thats about all I know about the differences.

I work for nissan and I can tell you for a fact that the vq35hr tranny is definitely different from the vq35, as it uses an internal slave cylinder and has the starter located on the opposite side of the tranny then the previos trans. As far as I know, the 04 style trans is different that the 06 style trans as they changed the synchos from a steel material in the earlier ones (which led to lots of grinding problems) to a brass material. When we were changing out the earlier trannies to the new updated versions, Nissan was making us change the clutch disk to a new one to match the new version trans, so It must be different in some way. Thats about all I know about the differences.

Yes, but will an older tranny bolt up to the VQ35HR? An 06 is way cheaper than an 07. okay not that much, but still easier to come by. The HR & VQ40 blocks may be higher, but that doesn't mean Nissan changed the bell housing.

Anyone got pictures?

Phar