HybridZ

Billet steel or cast iron flywheel?

Guest Thurem

Guest Thurem

Which is better billet steel or cast iron? Both are available for SBC in the 15 to 18 # range. I have a centerforce dualfriction clutchdisc to go behind it. The car is gonna be streetdriven.

Thure

You must mean Nodular Iron (GM). It's a pretty light piece - I have that in my car. If you have the bucks, do billet - stronger. Plus it'll likely be SFI rated, if that's important to you.

Personally, with my lumpy cam, I kind of wonder if a heavier flywheel would have been better.

The main question in my mind is how high are you turning the motor? Anything about 5k rpm or so and I wouldn't even consider the nodular iron 'wheel unless you are running a scattershield. Usually if I decide to buy a part new, I'll go for the best part I can get, ie the steel flywheel. If I have one lying around, I'll use it. :D

Guest Thurem

The reason for the question is: Flatlander Racing has a Nodular 15# for 140 and a Billet steel 18# for 130$, Both are Proline brand. But is the consensus that billet is safer for high Rpm, then?

And what about wear, is that an issue?

Thure