HybridZ

video: I got a Garrett GT35R

big-phil

Sure, it introduces more heat to the engine (and takes "coolness" away from the engine) but the effect is negligible, no doubt. I'd be surprised if that's really even taken into account on production turbocharged vehicles.

I need to get an alum. radiator anyway.

Sure, it introduces more heat to the engine (and takes "coolness" away from the engine) but the effect is negligible, no doubt. I'd be surprised if that's really even taken into account on production turbocharged vehicles.

Also, I personally would rather have warmer coolant than warmer oil...

I need a ali radiator tooooo, you could be right, I used to work on Ford sierra cosworths when they were quite new and they used to say not to drive them hard when they were cold, because the hot water from the turbo used to make it's way through to the bottom of the rad and then expand it rapidly before it all warmed up together, they looked really strange kind of Bow'd out along the bottom edge!! just a word of warning, let it warm up properly I don't really drive mine hard untill it's warm anyhow.

Congrats Phil. The GT35R is a great turbo for the L28. Did you go with the Garrett compressor cover? How about the turbine side, is it a .63 or .82?

With a GT35R/.63 turbine, HBZ user JeffP made an estimated 658 crank HP with his radical L30ET. I hope you get close.:D

Just a quick reply for those that ask why the GT-35R as apposed to the HY-35, I helped Phil select this turbo for his new "built" motor, and although it's been a while since I researched it, look at the compressor maps for both... the GT-35R pumps something like 12 -14 pounds per minute more than the HY-35 at the same pressure ratio, that means more power at lower boost, as well as a lot less heat. Phil decided he wanted the .63 hotside to maintain a very quick spool. I personally would have gone with a little "looser" turbine to make a little more power up top, but th .63 should make excellent midrange power, and hopefully not sacrifice too much in the higher RPM range.

The ball bearing center section should also help with spool, and for sure be a lot more forgiving of the abuse Phil will dish out :-D

I imagine Phils new motor will make very good power, as well as be very responsive, just what every street Z needs!

I am sad to know that I will not get the chance to play in traffic with you now that my car is up for sale. I really wanted to see what your boosted EFI set-up would do against my draw-thru carb turbo set-up

aww man, That would of been fun. did you ever take it to the dyno? Although if you did'nt make enough power to have no traction in 2nd, I might win?