HybridZ

Variable Valve Timing in LSx proving to have substantial power benefits!

• Administrators

The more I read about the VVT on the LSx the more excited I get. Comp cams has released a few cams and phase limiter kit for the VVT LSx and Mast Motorsports have been tinkering on the tuning side with the VVT L-92 6.2L.

Here is the GM VVT actuator;

VVT.jpg

Mast Motorsports has been tinkering with the VVT a bit on their dyno with some very credible returns justifying the value of VVT, even in a single cam application.

Full story here;

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/714881-gm-gen-iv-vvt-performance-gains.html

Quick recap with dyno figures…

Cam stationary at full advance overlaid with VVT. Note the drop in torque up top with the cam stationary in the advanced position.

Courtesy of MastMotorsports

L92withVVTvsL92withNoVVTat-5CAD.jpg

Cam stationary at full retard overlaid with VVT. Note the lack of torque down low with cam stationary.

Courtesy of MastMotorsports

L92withVVTvsL92withNoVVTat-18CAD.jpg

Yeah, I've been dreaming of doing VVT in a small block V8 for about 25 years. Most said it couldn't be done decades ago. Now the OEs have it. Very cool!

I'd love for them to do a cam with independent Intake and Exhaust timing - but I suppose the core and bearing diameters are too small to do that with a two-piece cam that you'd need for that function without some kind of really trick materials to keep the stiffness and strength up in the two parts of the cam (e.g., an inner and outer shaft that could rotate independently). Being able to vary Intake and Exhaust phasing independently would be very nice.

• Administrators
Yeah, I've been dreaming of doing VVT in a small block V8 for about 25 years. Most said it couldn't be done decades ago. Now the OEs have it. Very cool!

Pete,

Funny you mention that. I just posted this regarding the LSx VVT being adapted to the traditional SBC...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=143053