HybridZ

Deal gone sour? Your thoughts welcome.

Drax240z

I recently purchased some Z engine parts for my engine rebuild. They were advertised as used parts, with poor quality photos, but the seller spoke well of all of them. I asked for some better photos, never received them, but based on our numerous conversations I decided it wasn't worth pursuing in detail. Needless to say when the parts showed up they were damaged, and the damage was not from shipping. (they were well packaged by the seller and protected in shipping)

I have a bit of a beef, because I expected good used parts, and that's what our conversations centered around. I ended up with damaged used parts, which wasn't what we discussed, nor what I had in mind for my build. Some of the damage is relatively minor, some I think is borderline. All of the damage looks to me like sloppy handling, packaging, or assembly. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the extent of the damage and whether you think damage goes hand in hand with used engine parts or not. After contacting the seller he was pretty offended, and said that he received the parts from reputable businesses in this condition and that I should accept them because that's the condition he purchased from these reputable sources in.

I believe the worst part to be the damage between the rod and the cap, which won't let the bearing sit correctly. I will have to file down the bump, but it's not an area I am happy about needing to remove material from.

RGL_7695_thumb.jpg

RGL_7699_thumb.jpg

RGL_7701_thumb.jpg

RGL_7702_thumb.jpg

RGL_7696_thumb.jpg

RGL_7700_thumb.jpg

RGL_7694_thumb.jpg

Yeah it looks like someone may have used a screw driver and pliers to pull the caps off instead of a rod vise, and then chucked the rods/pistons into a box. As far as the rod number being scribed on the rods that's not an issue, unless it has been stamped. I would not use them. See if you can get a refund.

It's all serviceable. Use and old ring to shave the tight ring lands by rolling the ring in the groove like a tire in the track. Ring in one hand, piston in the other. The nicks, just take a jewelers file and touch up the one that wont let the bearing sit, you'll be fine. Pretty minor marks really, the piston is no big deal, if your really worried about it buy one piston.

I recently purchased some Z engine parts for my engine rebuild. They were advertised as used parts, with poor quality photos, but the seller spoke well of all of them. I asked for some better photos, never received them, but based on our numerous conversations I decided it wasn't worth pursuing in detail. Needless to say when the parts showed up they were damaged, and the damage was not from shipping. (they were well packaged by the seller and protected in shipping)

I have a bit of a beef, because I expected good used parts, and that's what our conversations centered around. I ended up with damaged used parts, which wasn't what we discussed, nor what I had in mind for my build. Some of the damage is relatively minor, some I think is borderline. All of the damage looks to me like sloppy handling, packaging, or assembly. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the extent of the damage and whether you think damage goes hand in hand with used engine parts or not. After contacting the seller he was pretty offended, and said that he received the parts from reputable businesses in this condition and that I should accept them because that's the condition he purchased from these reputable sources in.

I believe the worst part to be the damage between the rod and the cap, which won't let the bearing sit correctly. I will have to file down the bump, but it's not an area I am happy about needing to remove material from.

I would be annoyed as well. But I would use them, once you've done some prep work, as the other guys suggested and put it down to experience.

• Administrators

Just repeating what Doc and John C. already said. These nicks have no ill effect on the parts functionality.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11284&d=1231391937

attachment.php?attachmentid=11285&d=1231391937

attachment.php?attachmentid=11287&d=1231392056

This ding on the rod parting surface is an issue that is easily remedied. With the cap removed and the alignment dowels removed from the cap, place the machined parting surface on a flat stone and carefully work it “flat” to rid of any high spots on the machined parting surface. If you are not comfortable with that, pretty much any regular or automotive machine shop can do that for you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11283&d=1231391937

The piston is serviceable as well. Just need to be sure the ring is free in the land. As Doc mentioned, an old piston ring works wonders for shaving down the tight spots. Just as with the rod parting surface, if you don’t feel comfortable with doing that yourself, a performance oriented automotive machine shop can.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11286&d=1231392056

Thanks guys. I think I am more annoyed at the way the deal went than I am concerned about the parts. The seller is not offering anything as far as refund, or even accepting any fault, instead appointing the fault to me. There are some other issues there, but I will pursue things with him before any of the specifics go public, as it seems others on the board have purchsed from him without issue. Given the effort taken to package and ship, I don't think there was malicious intent either.

BRAAP, I have no problem with doing that work, I just need to commit myself that I need to do it and that I am going to use these rods and pistons rather than try to refund/return.