HybridZ

VERY Annoying Ad

pete280z

This ad has been driving me nuts today. Whenever it is displayed my browser immediately jumps to the bottom of the page (where the ad is showing up). Then it manages to hijack my arrow keys. Instead of scrolling the page, a select form element comes up with a list of vehicle manufacturer names in it.

Is there any way to report this ad to the ad network?

ad_thumb.jpg

Annoying ads like that are bad for business. It's like having someone call you every day trying to sell the same product that you don't want and after you've told them to stop bothering you. It makes you want to stop answering that phone.....

Now I get it. You were telling me that instead of bringing up issues that affect the usability of the site, I should use zcar.com instead.

As a web developer by trade I take usability issues on my sites very seriously and thought that the HybridZ admins would like to know about this one. One particular ad behaving badly is not a browser settings issue.

As a web developer by trade I take usability issues on my sites very seriously and thought that the HybridZ admins would like to know about this one. One particular ad behaving badly is not a browser settings issue.

And we're not web developer's by trade and we do this on our own time for free. We appreciate the heads up but, unfortunately, one or two people affected by an add does not really cause us much concern. Its added to the list.

FYI... I don't experience the problem in Firefox or IE so I'm inclined to think its an issue with an individual's machine or settings (pop up blocker?)

Hey guys, I didn't mean for this to get confrontational. This post was intended as a heads-up in hopes that your ad network had a facility for reporting abusive or offensive ads.

I never expected anyone to make my computer work with your website the way I think it should.

• Administrators

Thanks for the heads up guys and hopefully this will help others having the same issue.

I'm not software savvy but my VERY buggy iMac windows.gif with Safari has no issue with it. My guess, as mentioned above, probably has something to do with pop-up-blocker settings, firewall settings, Java script settings, or internet browser settings on the individual computers, i.e. the issue is based at the users end, not the servers end. wink.gif

It's happening to me in both Safari 3.2.1 and Firefox 3.0.5 on Mac 10.5.6. Still only this one ad from pricequotes.com. Popup blockers on or off yields the same results.

Looking at the source, that ad is loaded from Google/Doubleclick. I'm willing to bet decent money that this line (from content loaded by the ad server) is causing the problem:

This is not something that admins at HybridZ are in direct control of.

Disabling Javascript would be a workaround, but you'd lose a lot of forum functionality in the process. Hitting tab 3 or 4 times when it loads would take the focus off the ad entirely and relieve the arrow keys issue.

In any case, it probably won't be long before that ad's run of service is over.

Guest 280ZForce

I use a Mac and in both Safari and Fire Fox (same versions as Pete posted above) and have the same issues with this ad in basically every thread I go into.

so this isn't affecting just 1 or 2 people.

It's only when I first click into a thread and proceed to scroll using the arrow keys, then the "select a make" option pops up from the ad no matter where in the thread it is placed. If I click and drag the toggle slider on the side, then it disables the annoying ad since I'm scrolling via another method off the page.