HybridZ

Building new shop - what to use for air lines?

drzed

I'm building a "good size" new shop and I'm wondering what I should use as distribution lines for the shop air. I would like to use something flexible so I could run it through the walls - hard lines are out as the exterior wall cladding is already installed. I saw a product called Pex-Al-Pex on a website a while back but have never seen it in person and don't know anyone who has used it. Initially I was going to use Pex water pipe but my research showed that it may not be compatible with the petroleum found in shop air lines. It appears that Pex-Al-Pex is.

http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=389&brandid=

Anyone used anything else other than copper or iron pipe? If it matters my compressor is 7.5hp industrial model and the maximum run will be about 100'. Also, how do you size the lines? I was thinking of using 3/4" lines everywhere.

Have a look here:

http://www.garage-pak.com/

Easier than black iron which I have worked with. I will be installing it in the new shop. Most of the reading I have done regarding shop air says not to use PEX on higher pressure applications or PVC. Too much danger if it blows out.

I did find specific Compressed air pex literature at: www.ipexamerica.com Different than what you referenced but approved for compressed air.

YMMV

Yes, that works well and you can use the QD push to lock fittings, makes connections a snap and they are re-usable. That is what is on semi-trucks these days. I always replace rubber hoses with pex whenever a have a hose break. Great stuff.

For distribution lines it pays benefits to use 3/4" max if you ever intend on using a 1" impact wrench. Most people do not so they go with 1/2" or 3/8". I used 3/4" but I need to use the big IR 1" impact, 1200 ft-lb torque on alot of things.

Your pressure will probably be 120psi max. Pex is rated to like 200psi at 75 degrees and about 180psi at 120 or so. I have never had a problem and it poses no danger unlike pvc which can have flying objects. My peterbilt has the governor set at 135psi and I have the compressor at my shop at 150psi.

Yes, that works well and you can use the QD push to lock fittings, makes connections a snap and they are re-usable. That is what is on semi-trucks these days. I always replace rubber hoses with pex whenever a have a hose break. Great stuff.

So you are using regular pex water pipe or the Pex-Al-Pex or a type of pex purchased at a HD truck supply? Also what does the "QD" stand for - I googled and couldn't find this type of fitting.

Thanks

So you are using regular pex water pipe or the Pex-Al-Pex or a type of pex purchased at a HD truck supply? Also what does the "QD" stand for - I googled and couldn't find this type of fitting.

Thanks

Well, it's called Pex, I buy it at action hose in Alb. The fittings are available and some smaller hose at our Carquest store here, but they come in solid brass and plastic, the plastic ones are cheaper. The QD is quick disconnect, you push the tube in and pull back, an insert comes back out and it locks, push on the insert and it will release the hose.

Just watch what lubricants you use in your compressor when using plastic piping. Some plastics are incompatible with PAG or PAO compressor oils, and if you start sending oil down the line they can crack, or catastrophically fail under pressure. Same goes for polycarbonate bowls on FRL units.

If you have good filters on the main pressure vessel leading out to the system and service them religiously the plastic piping should be fine as long as you keep it out of sunlight. The Legris Company makes a line of fittings for HDPE (Polyethelyene) piping and tubing for use in Pneumatic systems that is very nice, and compatible via all sorts of threaded end adapters.

A suitable compromise is like Dr hunt recommends: Run your main header of a large diameter properly sloped for drainage metallic pipe of 1" diameter, with multiple taps out of the TOP of the pipe each with a ball valve to isolate it. Connect that with your main pressure vessel via a flexible bellows or Aeroquip line.

Then run all you sub circuits with the plastic piping. Ideally you would regulate down to work pressure from a SEALED source of supply, that way any leaks are at lower pressure and cost you less air loss over time.

I could go on and on about this stuff.... There are cool aluminum QD piping available now from I-R (Simplair) as well as others that make plumbing a system fast and leak free.

http://www.transairaluminumpipe.com/?gclid=CLumx6S5m5gCFQkzawodbgmXmA

http://www.apspiping.com/

http://www.copelandindustries.com/products/SimplAirSLbrochure.pdf.pdf