HybridZ

Streetability of high po clutch

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Sup people this is my question: My setup is a 75 Z - L28 w/ triples, crane cam, headers, 5spd. I am in the process of building this up and have come to the point of clutch selection. I want to go with the Centerforce Dual Friction, but dont know if the result will be too much racecar. Do you guys know how this clutch will affect driveability? I still want to drive this to the 7-11 so I can get my slurpee.

If you have to 240mm flywheel, get the Nissan 300ZXT pressure plate and clutch disc. If is a 600 KG unit, with stock engagement. It is more than substantial enough.

The Centerforce DF will eat your flywheel, at least the one's I have seen run will. I would rather replace a clutch than a flywheel, but that is just me.

If you have a 225mm flywheel, get the sports option pressure plate from Nismo. It is a 780KG pressure plate, but it is pricey at like 250 or so. It is plenty stout, and engages like stock.

I have run Centerforce Dual Friction clutches on 2 engines, an L 28 turbo and a 7m-gte (91 Supra). The pedal is plenty acceptable for the street and I have never had any slipping issues up to 322 rwhp on the dynojet for the Supra. The flywheel from the Nissan did have some grooves in it when I took that motor out, the Toyota flywheel did not after more or less equal mileage on both. The clutch worked fine in both cases, never slipping for what I would consider mild pedal effort.

Anthony

'71 510 wagon, '91 Toyota Supra Turbo engine (322 rwhp)

Guest silverbullet

Just my .02 but I have a stock 77-5 speed with a Centerforce Dual Friction, I replaced everything except the flywheel(resurfaced), throwout fork and spring, and the master cyl. and hard line, and I absolutly love it,this car is currently my only car so it is definetly a daily driver,it is very smooth engaging and the pedal pressure feels no more than stock to me,it seems the harder I launch the smoother it engages, can't speak on the flywheel wear though as I have only had it for about 10k.