HybridZ

Springless valvetrain system

i dont fully understand the decuir system either. the video really doesnt explain much about what goes on with the camshaft. i know the system has been used on ducati bikes for awhile. everything ive found on the internet about the desmodromic system is on 4 cylinder bikes and looks nothing like the one on the video for push rod engines. anbody have a better understanding of this?

Guest Widebodys30

I hear eliminating the poppet valve makes it safe to run as high as 14-1 c/r

on STREET gas.

You think that's wild, I read in a hot rod mag about '94, where this guy made what was like a small radial engine(like what is on really old aircraft), but didn't use the antique steam engine technology crankshaft. The pistons rode on something similar to a CAM LOBE, like overgrown roller rockers.

What does it do to have all of the combustion energy focused on your motor's centerline?

How about his preliminary test model displacing 40 CI, and putting out nearly 400HP.

I'm sure the auto or oil companies must have bought the rights, and quickly scuttled it away, as I only heard of it the one time...

• 2 weeks later...

The Decuir springless valve doesn't change the valves at all. It just connects the cam to the lifter, to the pushrod, to the rocker, to the spring. So the cam can pull the valve closed, thus no spring necessary. I think there is a light spring just to make sure the valve guide seal doesn't pop out. I read somewhere it gains power mostly from friction reduction between the cam and lifter face. Well, a roller cam would do the same thing.. Decuir posted a gain of 15 HP or so on a Chevy 350, that is about in line with gains from a roller cam. It doesn't gain any huge amount of power, just frees up some due to friction reduction. My guess is he wants a fortune for it, just like the Coates guy, so no one is willing to pony up the $$$ for such a small gain.

If they're going to have independently digitally controlled valves they should do away with springs and as much reciprocating mass and friction as is possible. They should go with rotary valves. This eliminates the need for excessive torque needed to open and close typical reciprocating spring-loaded valves and promotes nearly immediate accuracy.

Yes... if I could develop this technology I would be a millionaire.

Story of my life...

Holy cripes... I'm no longer a Nerf Herder. I'm now HZ member of the frickin' week. I guess I must be one bad-a$$ SOB. Damm I must be really good!! In fact, I'm practically a HZ God. I'm almost... lump in my throat... I'm almost... eyes welling up... I'm almost... tears streaming now... I'm ALMOST... a BRAAP!!!

haha, i got the phone number to decuir and im going to call them in the next few days to ask a few questions like when is it available? and im very interested in how much they are going to sell thesefor. interesting they are trying to apply different technology to engines that honestly need it. im suprised there hasnt been more aftermarket for things like this and even possibly a system for overhead cams on chevys?/ i know there would be a huge market

The Decuir springless valve doesn't change the valves at all. It just connects the cam to the lifter, to the pushrod, to the rocker, to the spring. So the cam can pull the valve closed, thus no spring necessary. I think there is a light spring just to make sure the valve guide seal doesn't pop out. I read somewhere it gains power mostly from friction reduction between the cam and lifter face. Well, a roller cam would do the same thing.. Decuir posted a gain of 15 HP or so on a Chevy 350, that is about in line with gains from a roller cam. It doesn't gain any huge amount of power, just frees up some due to friction reduction. My guess is he wants a fortune for it, just like the Coates guy, so no one is willing to pony up the $$$ for such a small gain.

There are two advantages to having a "springless" or "positive valve actuation" system (as decuir calls it).

1. elimination of a high rate spring from the valve train - leads to the friction reduction mentioned above.

2. the valve following the exact* movements of the cam all the way to the point where normal valve springs would float.

In those regards it is not too closely comparable to a roller rocker setup.

BUT you can't eliminate the spring altogether. Even in the Ducati system you see a spring mounted on the follower pivots to help keep the followers close to the cam.

Also, by using 2 cam lobes instead of one to open and close the valve, the ducati system is far superior to the Decuir system because valve movements are not constrained by the movement of an offset circle (basically a sine wave). This allows you to take advantage of optimizing the velocity of the valve at open and closing points.

*within tolerance.

• 3 weeks later...