HybridZ

Clutch slippage

woldson

Ok, my clutch is going.

New flywheel at mach shop.

Next weekend I will be installing.

So this question is of curiosity.

Why dose my clutch hold reasonably well stomping the gas in first and second, but a high way speed and let say 2700rpm (5th) the clutch will slip badly if I give it any hard throttle at all?

Hi Worldson, I was thinking about the same thing recently.

Anyway, here is how I look at it...In 1st or second gear, the reason there is not much load on the clutch is that with the "shorter" gears, it is like running a longer "breaker-bar". Using the taller 4-5th gear, it is nearly 1:1 (or lower) thus, using a shorter arm that could slip more...:icon53:

To say it another way, the reason the clutch "slips out" is because you're applying the same torque to a shorter "distance-arm" so you'll get more slippage.

Hope this made sense...:burnout:

ps:

The same thing went down with the anime "Wangan Midnight" (episode 18, 19? [thanks RagingPanda :)]) http://wanganmidnightanime.blogspot.com/2009/01/wangan-midnight-18.html

Ok, to sure what you are getting at Hughdog.

Talked to my brother in law and he mentioned that the acceleration of the car in lower gears essentially dilutes the touque at the clutch assemble.

Added to this the torque is also lost due to the engine in a period of time is working hard to increase its rotation.

Is that what you were getting at?