HybridZ

Cost comparisons for LSD's

silicone boy

I've been going over the LSD thing in my head for the past 2 months, not sure of the best way to go. I've even gone as far as closely studying Scottie's Corvette rear end and saying it's not really that difficult. Then there's the R230 and the non-existent late 80's 300zxt unit. Then I got to thinking :eek: (always dangerous). When you consider fabrication and hassle costs (and possibly labor for stuff you have to farm out), wouldn't it be almost as cost effective to just drop in a Quaife at $1100? Combined with turbo CV halfshafts (I found about 25 sets on Car-parts.com--bought a set for $100), it's a piece of cake compared to the others, and after all, time is money, and the less time I spend working on the car, the more time I have for driving it. Besides, I have always wanted to own a quaife because it looks sweet. A phantom grip would be even cheaper (not sure about the long term reliability as a daily driver, though). Any thoughts?

i see it like this, yes you can get lsds, cheap but then the time and work is the cost. get a jy 300zx 3.7 r200 lsd- you have to change pinion flange, side axles, and get a brace for the rear if you use the finned cover. pay 1200 or so for a quaife bolt in unit, there you go thats it its bolt on-but costs alot initially. r230-custom mounts, pinion flange, custom axles and custom custom. me, im gonna keep looking for a clutch type 3.7 r200, and take my time doing so.

I've investigated this significantly and here is what I have found/believe:

300zxT LSD comes with gears and housing for $500-$750

Nissan Motorsports LSD $750

Quaiffe $1195

Reider Racing $525 IF they ever get more...

And POSSIBLY CalMini makes an LSD for the FRONT of a Frontier/Xterra that looks like will work. It is "cheap" at $449 and the way to go IMO IF you can confirm for sure it bolts in.12mm steel tube with a 1mm wall thickness will make a suitable sleeve for the 10mm bolt in the 12mm hole of any of the other LSD you choose to swap into an existing 10mm r200.

IMO, the Corvette rear is not a good choice for a powerful car because the half shaft is actually the 4th "link" of the 4 link suspension! This means if you break a half shaft you may crash... NHRA outlawed the 'vette IRAS and the Jag IRS for cars running quicker than 11.0 because of this. I still believe a reinforced front mount, urethane mustache bar bushing, the ZXT half shafts and some sort of LSD in the r200 is the best choice. After all no one appears to break the r200 LSD or gear set. It all boils down to price. Scottie got big brakes as well as 3.0 gears and LSD with his swap. This would have been big bucks to upgrade all of those things on the r200.

Motorsport Auto (MSA) or your local Nissan dealer. The Nismo LSD is made by Tokigi Fuji who also makes the Reider Racing diff AND the Cal-Mini diff, and most likely the '87-'89 turbo LSD as well. I think the real choices are Tokigi Fuji or Quaiffe, but price and availability are inversely proportionate it seems...