HybridZ

How do I remove the window from the hatch without cutting the rubber seal?

I am just wondering, how do I remove the window from the hatch. I am sanding the hatch and hood so I can get them looking better and I'm confused on how to take out that window. There is some surface rust right underneath the window following the trim. Then near where the emblems are supposed to be the paint looks like it is bubbling, so i need to sand the whole thing so i can stop the cancer from eating through the hatch.

Here is a pic:

3224726250_2330547aff.jpg

Also, how do i remove the lock/button so i dont sand over it?

Thanks a bunch!

-Justin :mrgreen:

Well if your weatherstripping is old it will crack when you try to pull it out, then its not of any use.... Id reccomend just getting a new weatherstrip for the hatch.

As for the lock, remove the small panel underneath the hatch lid, (pop it off, dont be afraid) then from the inside pop off the small clip wedged inbetween the back of the lock and the sheetmetal. Then you can just pull it off.

Good luck, stick with it!

^+1

It will be worth your while to buy a new seal, and not worry about the old one.

chances are, with the old hardened rubber, the window will break trying to get it out.

I would suggest taking a razor blade and carefully cutting through the rubber seal so no part of the rubber is over lapping the glass. Then you can easily lift it out of the hatch. Thats what I did anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you definitely don't want to take the shortcuts. you'll just make more work for yourself later when it comes to rust. so get a new seal, Cut the old one and get some help to get your window out, then you can recondition the frame, paint it and then put back in the window. Careful though, it really sucks breaking a window. you might get some piano wire and run it behind the glass to help separate it. Read up on windshield removal, the concepts are the same.

Phar