HybridZ

Seat re-covering

abes

How much $$ have you guys paid for seat re-coverings?? I have a set of old school recaros (mesh headrest) and gat a quote for $320 per seat for getting them re done in pleather. It's the material that bmw uses on their cars and the mini coopers. The price includes new foam and mesh for the headrests. They're a very reputable upholstery shop but it seems to be a bit steep.

What do you guys think?? $640 for two seats...

for that much, I would just get new seats, but thats just me.

Might want to look into a leather upholsterer, just to see the difference in quote. making a cover is no different than making a leather jacket, except stretch fitting the cover, and the thread they use is more durable than what they might use at the shop you went to :P.

but the amount of labor and materials, it sounds about right. Maybe on the high side a little.

A guy here quoted $1500 to reupholster two seats in black leather. His company is one of those low-budget mom-n-pop shops off the beaten path too. I just turned around and walked away.

If I can't find someone to do a decent job with good materials for $200-300 for the pair I'll just buy new seats.

I upholstered my own 91 300zx seat for my 240z. that quote doesn't seem to high. Its a very time consuming job sewing all the parts. Materials ain't cheap eighter even though its plastic/vinyl ect. leather is more expensive and more harder to sew, hard to work with.

It is time consuming. especially if you want piping on some of the seams. They have to make 3 -5 passes of stitching on on a single piped seam (my mother owns an alteration shop :P).

Forming the foam inserts are easy, but why would you?. Why not just use the original foam.

If you have to, you just need an electric carving knife, a finishing sander and a block of foam. You might want different stiffnesses of foam if you want and extra level of comfort :P.

A reupholstery job is very labor intensive. I don't think the quote is out of line. As an alternative, what car were the seats in originally - or were they aftermarket Recaros. If BrandX OEM car Recaros, you can probably find reupholstery kits online or on ebay. Price new Recaros and the redo will seem cheap. Good luck!

Dennis

Dennis, I am in the process of getting a similar pair of seats and have not yet found an upholstery kit for them!

I was just curious about what car they came from. Early '80s Mustangs, Capris, and T-Birds had Recaros as an option. If I remember the Recaro seats in my '83 Thunderbird turbo correctly, they were probably too wide for the Z. However, if they fit, there must be Mustang suppliers for upholstery kits.

Dennis