HybridZ

200 SX V-6 rear end question

dat240zg

• 6 months later...

Here is some info I saved a while back... hope it helps you out.. :2thumbs:

The easiest way is to find a 240sx with one on it already and take it. There is a lot of talk about what year and options a 240 has to have to be equipped with an LSD. From what I've heard SE's with ABS, HICAS, or S14 5 lug SE's w/ ABS all should have the LSD. Canadian 240's also have VLSD (all of them). The easiest way to check is that the LSD will have an orange sticker above the fill hole that identifies it as an LSD. Also if you turn one side the other should turn the same direction. You'll also notice that the LSD is harder to spin by hand than the open differential. If your like me you can't find a 240 in a scrap yard anyplace with an LSD in it, so you have to improvise.......... here comes the fun part. The R200V (VLSD) differential is used in the Infiniti J30, and Z32 300zx. The Infiniti one has an ABS sensor at the front which adds about an inch to the length of it. The flanges for the halfshafts (the shafts that go to the wheels) are the same pattern for the 95 and up J30's (pre '95 used a different pattern at least on the ones I saw in the yard) Also if you own an S13 (89-94) you will need to get a new differential cover gasket and swap the rear cover off your R200 (stock diff) onto the new one. The S13's used a different bolt pattern (4 bolts) than the S14 (2 bolts). The 90+ 300zx one also fits but takes more work. First thing DO NOT get the twin turbo diff, it's got different gear ratio's in it and it will really slow your car down (3.86) The NON turbo has the same ratio as the 240 (4.06). The 300sx also uses the 2 bolt rear cover so if you own an S13 you'll need to switch it. The biggest problem with the 300zx is that the output flanges are different. The look like a '5 star' flange where the 240sx uses 3 sets of 2. The parts to convert a 300 to a 240 can be had for around 200-300 new. I got mine at a scrap yard for 150.