HybridZ

Drift 280Z project

Hey guys thought i would share my build its been about a year in the making. I first was gonna setup my Z for Drag and auto X but I live in Ft.wayne Indiana and between supercharged muscle cars and fully gutted imports with huge turbo's if you dont have a high power car you cant compete up here and that tends to get annoying.so i thought i would go in a different direction .I noticed that there aren't many z's that drift being to worn down or to valuable. Ive done quite a bit of body work so I am not afraid to do some more and I wont be street drifting it so I when I drift its gonna be competition with runoffs so it wont get to beat up. Ive had it for a little more than a year and i hope to have it running before summer (very big hope) but as any 20 year old Ive got barley any money. That however is not an excuse because i put every dime i get into this car. So here is some pics i hope you like it:)

Here are some pictures of the Interior and the body i will upload more as i find them because i have a lot strewn about on my computer

phone pic 2008 042_thumb.jpg

phone pic 2008 043_thumb.jpg

phone pic 2008 052_thumb.jpg

phone pic 2008 058_thumb.jpg

phone pic 2008 060_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are coupla Pics of my suspension before and after. I got rid of all most of the old stuff and went with Ground controll coil sleeves and Tokico Illuminas. I plan on getting some sportmaxx 002's in gold I'm probably going to go with 15X8. Oh and the the one picture is me and my buddy that works at the shop i go to every so often, lowering the rear as much as possible lol.

phone pic 2008 047_thumb.jpg

phone pic 2008 048_thumb.jpg

phone pic 2008 051_thumb.jpg

phone pic 2008 050_thumb.jpg

phone pic 2008 053_thumb.jpg

here are some new seats that i got in they are corbeau Forza 2's.I also put a 240sx shift knob(free) and a MOMO champion(i think) steering wheel. i am currently making a gauge pod where the A/C switches are. I don't like where the gauges in the stereo are they are too low and this is gonna be a dedicated car so i don't care a bout A/C. I used corbeau seat brackets and it sits higher than i like but i can deal with it but if anyone knows how to modify them to make it sit lower and a little more forward (im5'6'') that would be great

0123091148_thumb.jpg

0123091353b_thumb.jpg

I don't know how much drifting experience you have, but just as a heads up, it is going to be pretty different drifting this car, than say an S13.

Things like not having as much steering angle, and sitting way back in relation to the car could be an interesting transition. Should be awesome to watch this project though.

If you search the archives for Drift240z (i think is his name) he was trying to get pretty competitive with his Z, and there's some good technical info about solving some of the problems with drifting a Z.

are you planning on getting an LSD...?

Good luck!

yes i have thought about those things. My brother and friends drift and they say its going to be tougher with me sitting in the rear of the car becuase of transitions ill be jostled around more. And yes i will be getting an LSD i have a 77 but it has a 4 speed manual in it at the time. I have a 5 speed that's gonna go into it but i am a little confused on witch diff i have (i think a long nose R200 but the 4 speed manuall throws me off) ill have to check my year of car again. and as for the brand of LSD ive looked around but im not sure yet if you have any ideas and wich is simplest (not welded lol) i would be greatfull.

I've got an LSD and a 5spd in my 74. It does the sideways thing pretty good, but as far as competition grade I won't know until I boost it. (not enough power to smoke the tires off it continually.

This should be a good project to watch though. Best of luck with it. I think if you could re-work the steering it'd help a ton as mentioned.

I know a lot of people will try and talk you out of it, but i'm sure it's a good place to start and learn anyway. And good on ya for straying away from the S13 and Trueno crowd.

well as for welding the diff it seems i dunno... to ghetto lol. I just like to do things the right way lol . How expensive if you know off the top of your head are the 300zx lsd if you don't wanna make me search lol. O and i would also like to kno what you guys think of the paint job??!?!

I definately dont think a standard LSD from a 300zx will cope with the strain placed upon it on drift days or competition. Really you should be looking towards a 2 way LSD from NISMO or KAAZ... It might last a little while, and you could shim the 300zx diff up but in reality its never going to lock up on lift off like you need in drift...

Well let me be the first on behalf of DriftIndy To say welcome on the DriftIndy team we have 4 people with Z's 2 regulars (one being me) and let me tell you this STRUT TOWER BARS!!!! < Definatly needed. Please come visit Driftindy at

Driftindy.com and go to our forums. Introduce yourself. We have 4 events planned that are a 2 and a half hour drive from you at the Indy speedrome.

Also most people in DI have S13's with either VLSD or welded most go for welded because of how good they do (as long as its welded right)