HybridZ

Drift 280Z project

Well damn... cats outta the bag now. This is what I'm rebuilding my Z for also.

Except I'm swapping the rear for a 240sx suspension.

Spend some time stiffening up the chassis man. I'm stitch welding mine and putting on beefier frame rails and other odds and ends.

Great minds think alike or stray together?

-Ed

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't you be able to get more steering angle in the S30 by running the quick steering knuckles that Nismo used to sell and Arizona Z car sells now and or running some inner tie rod spacers to space the tie rods out further like the Toyota AE86 guys do?

I drift my 260z a lot and will say its completly driferent from any other car ... but I got used to it and I can do some pretty amazing stuff with it..

L28et ,t5,haltech ,60-1,55lbs injectors,bosh turbo pump,3:73lsd,

Got any videos of your car in action, or any pictures?

Your signature is HUGE!!!!!!! You need to resize that to within the forum rules before an admin just removes it.

• 3 weeks later...

alright well ive been doing some research on how to increase the steering angle without running a ridiculous amount of toe angle. It will be driven to the track and i don't want weird tread wear or have to ajust it every time im at the track then it fell into my lap it wont increase it by a whole lot here is the link. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1689619&page=3 this is my friend derek kings subaru that he converted to RWD. You will see about halfway down the page he cuts off where the tie rod connects to the hub. he then grinds down the part of the hub and then he welds where you bolt the tie rod to the hub. And here

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1689619

is where you can see the difference in steering angle, i kno i will have some clearence issues so to get rid of those im also thinking about going with wheel spacers and zg fender flares and some rims with a low offset.

Im stayin tuned into this one....

I have thought about going the same route....BUT the few major reasons I am hesitating is because you are pretty much guaranteed to wreck your car if you do any kind of competitive drifting....it happens....to everyone.... and these things are considered "classics"...so wrecking one would bring me to tears...

I have had a few 240sx's, about 5 Datsun 510s, and about 5 AE86s and what I have learned from trying to hang my 260z sideways is chassis flex is a huge enemy and the heavy front end doesnt help much either. I have noticed I can "hang" the rear end a little longer due to the added torque of the inline 6, but the manual steering also makes it "interesting" to manhandle in a 30 mph sweeping drift.

Kudos!

I give props to whoever can get crazy loose in a Z, as they take some time to get used to!

I give props to whoever can get crazy loose in a Z, as they take some time to get used to!

Thats one of the reasons they are so successful in sportscar racing; it is easy to self-correct, so a mediocre to poor driver with stones the size of South Dakota can outperform an excellent driver in a less forgiving vehicle, who has a wife and kids to think about.

Regarding the previous post...

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC11/23-4181

Quick steering knuckles. The tradeoff is, much more difficulty turning the steering wheel than stock. The shorter you go, the more steering effort required.

its not quick steering that I am worried about its the angle itself when the wheel is at full lock while most 240sx and now my friends Subaru get about 55 degrees. we only get about 35 degrees give or take some lol. but what i am getting at is you can drift smoothly without power steering i am just worried about getting enough angle when sideways

its not quick steering that I am worried about its the angle itself when the wheel is at full lock while most 240sx and now my friends Subaru get about 55 degrees. we only get about 35 degrees give or take some lol. but what i am getting at is you can drift smoothly without power steering i am just worried about getting enough angle when sideways

I know you are more concerned about the steering angle, but from what I could gather about the Soobie mod, it was essentially the same thing; shortened steering knuckles, decreased radius, so the linear action of the rack results in a greater angle of wheel movement... the quick steering knuckles would both increase steering reaction, and angle. Both come at a tradeoff of steering effort, and that tradeoff adds up rather quickly.

• 1 month later...
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?15

Don't know if you have heard of powered by max but they have some sick steering angle kits. Something to look at perhaps, my friend has this kit on his s14 and I'm about to install it on mine, it's a ton of angle.

Those knuckles just move the tie-rod mounting point down and more inward. They are moved down to make up for bumpsteer and they are moved in to give more steering angle. The AZzcar steering knuckles do the same thing.

http://www.arizonazcar.com/lowarms.html (toward the bottom of the page)

Those knuckles just move the tie-rod mounting point down and more inward. They are moved down to make up for bumpsteer and they are moved in to give more steering angle. The AZzcar steering knuckles do the same thing.

http://www.arizonazcar.com/lowarms.html (toward the bottom of the page)

I sent a email asking Dave at Arizona Z Car if this was true. Here is his response.

"They do not change the steering angle, they can be used to increase the angle of the arms for better geometry when the car has been significantly lowered.

I have Billet Aluminum Steering knuckles to speed up the steering ratio if that's what you want to do.

Dave"

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, reading through your post i noticed you live in Ft. Wayne, i too live there and my brother has corbeaus in his 280 and he had the same problem. I'll ask him what he did to fix it because i cant remember off the top of my head lol I will get back to you about what he did

• 1 month later...
Here are coupla Pics of my suspension before and after. I got rid of all most of the old stuff and went with Ground controll coil sleeves and Tokico Illuminas. I plan on getting some sportmaxx 002's in gold I'm probably going to go with 15X8. Oh and the the one picture is me and my buddy that works at the shop i go to every so often, lowering the rear as much as possible lol.

Since you are building a drift car, I was wondering what spring rates did you go with and if you have tried them on the streen yet?

J