HybridZ

fuel pump for carb?

Curious on what everybody is running on their carb combo.

this will be on a 302 small block with 600cfm edelbrock carb/intake/etc. i plan on running around 360whp/wtq

this will be on a an early 260z.

i have look at pumps and looking for a cheap one really that can handle the power and found this.

72gph Carter p4070

curious if it would handle it.

any sudgestion thats under $100?

also since its only low ho i believe the stock fuel lines can handle this?

or will i need to upgrade to 3/8 feed and 3/8 return?

can i plug off the vapor line thing?

and do i need the vapor tank that sits on the passenger side quarter panel?

What about those of us running the engine in the JTR position that cant use a mech pump?

so the pump will be placed close to the tank and as low as possible.

then do i place the filter right after the pump? or in the engine bay?

and then carb and then return line.

how far away from the carn should i put that return style regulator?

ALSO for the 110gph version it said no regulator is required so what is the gain for adding one?

"ALSO for the 110gph version it said no regulator is required so what is the gain for adding one?"

thats a good question that deserves some info posted,chevy

mechanical fuel pumps throw a supply of fuel in pulsed volume, if youve ever started your engine with a loose fuel line connection to the carb, or tested fuel flow rates, by allowing the pump to throw fuel in a container,youve seen the fuel squirt out in pulses, a fuel pressure regulator tends to smooth out thos pressure spikes the carbs needle/seat sees and provide a much steadier pressure and supply.

NOW theres a pressure overload circuit in the pump that keeps the pressure lower than a set maximum, but its not nearly as effective as running a return style fuel pressure regulator in conjunction with the pump. while its true the pump and carb will functuion without the regulator youll generally find more consistant fuel control, and fuel levels in the carb if you use the regulator even with an electric fuel pump.

"ALSO for the 110gph version it said no regulator is required so what is the gain for adding one?"

thats a good question that deserves some info posted,chevy

mechanical fuel pumps throw a supply of fuel in pulsed volume, if youve ever started your engine with a loose fuel line connection to the carb, or tested fuel flow rates, by allowing the pump to throw fuel in a container,youve seen the fuel squirt out in pulses, a fuel pressure regulator tends to smooth out thos pressure spikes the carbs needle/seat sees and provide a much steadier pressure and supply.

NOW theres a pressure overload circuit in the pump that keeps the pressure lower than a set maximum, but its not nearly as effective as running a return style fuel pressure regulator in conjunction with the pump. while its true the pump and carb will functuion without the regulator youll generally find more consistant fuel control, and fuel levels in the carb if you use the regulator even with an electric fuel pump.

offtopic what you said a chevy mechanical pump. just out of curiousity what makes a chevy pumps different from a ford pump?

offtopic what you said a chevy mechanical pump. just out of curiousity what makes a chevy pumps different from a ford pump?

I don,t know the answer to that as I work on very few fords,

but Id point out theres several differant styles of fuel pumps available, varing designs most work like this but not all..

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/535.cfm

i mounted mine at a 45 degree angle with a filter(supplied with the pump) behind the pump not to clog it up....its about 6 inches away from the tank...its very small and reliable...id suggest it to anyone...ive been running mine now for a year...driving 40 or 50 miles at a time...and it was only like $40 bucks....beats 80 dollars for mallory all your paying for is a name

The holley pumps are garbage in my opinion. I have several of the Carter pumps on several things. A lot of people use the wallbro pumps. Some of the aftermarket pumps are pretty noisy. I have several aeromotive pumps and they are pretty noisy, but you know when they are not working also.

Mechanical pumps are mostly out of the picture for most z applications as everyone pretty much knows.

The holley pumps are garbage in my opinion. I have several of the Carter pumps on several things. A lot of people use the wallbro pumps. Some of the aftermarket pumps are pretty noisy. I have several aeromotive pumps and they are pretty noisy, but you know when they are not working also.

Mechanical pumps are mostly out of the picture for most z applications as everyone pretty much knows.

found a good deal locally for a mallory 140gph with some 1/2" hose. is there any negative to running a 140gph with 1/2 tubing for a very mild build? i know it would be overkill and too much fuel. but would it be trouble to tune?

i dont mind it being overkill now so later when i upgrade the motor the fuel part is done atleast.

found a good deal locally for a mallory 140gph with some 1/2" hose. is there any negative to running a 140gph with 1/2 tubing for a very mild build? i know it would be overkill and too much fuel. but would it be trouble to tune?

i dont mind it being overkill now so later when i upgrade the motor the fuel part is done atleast.

As long as the fuel pressure is steady it shouldn't be any different to tune than any other pump.

interesting reading.

My experience is the carbs need the RIGHT pressure, not just steady pressure.

too much pressure is bad. Not enough flow is bad.

Personally I don't like the returns, but I understand the theory behind them.

I like too much pressure at the tank, restricted down to the RIGHT pressure with a high flow regulator.

But I'm also partial to Q-Jets, which are pretty sensitive for fuel pressure and adequate flow.