HybridZ

S30 Steering Rack Boots

Well, after a long search and several failed attemps, I located some inexpensive S30 steering rack boots. AutoZone part number 03670 is a universal replacement boot, but is identical to the old part number UF2020. After removing the first large side ring, (these are a cut-to-fit type) these boots fit on very well, although you will need two zip-ties for the steering-rack side to keep them on. The hardest part is dealing with all the steering rack grease...after getting the rack clean, the boots went on smooth as silk, and fit securely. (With the zip ties on the rack side, that is. It may just have been me being stupid, as the directions say not to cut the large side of the boot, but I don't know how you'd get them on otherwise.) Regrease the rack, and waaaa-laa! new rack boots that you didn't pay 100+$ for from the Nissan parts desk, or 65+$ from most other parts stores. (including AutoZone, the S30 parts listing was 32$ per side) This universal fit boot was a whopping $9.99.

I just cleaned mine up, electric taped it and pored some rubberizing stuff (like a liquid that you dip your tool handles in to give it a rubber grip) in the the cracks/holes from the inside. After I removed the tape, sprayed the outside of it with some wd40 and let is sit to lessen the brittleness.

I also used the same rubberizing stuff to coat my springs after I had them blasted.