HybridZ

Advantages of a N42 Intake mated with a L28et?

B00STDZ

• Administrators

Here are some of our custom factory L-6 intakes I’ve done over the years.

If they are to be painted, all the large holes are plugged with brass pipe plugs. All small divots are then filled in with JB weld. Final shaping, sanding, then painted. My first intake was done that way back in 1989, as well as my last for the Race car a couple years back.

For the polished or ceramic coated versions, aluminum pugs are cut up and welded in the larger holes, divots filled in as well. I farm out the welding as I am not a welder.

Here is one in process;

P6180960Medium.jpg

Finished products;

First intake I did:

BraapCustom.jpg

This is good a friend, member here and officer in NWZ club. WAS an EGR intake, machined off the EGR plenum from the back plugging the individual transfer ports in the runners themselves. This is a bone stock ’75 L-28, factory EFI, everything function as stock, other not having the air flow regulator, (initial idle speed is set higher than normal to maintain idle when cold.)

intMedium2.jpg

Another good friend for his really nice yellow S-130, ceramic coated N-42 intake modified for modern O-rind style injectors;

Next to unmodified manifold;

Intake1Medium-1.jpg

Intake2Medium.jpg

FuelRail2Medium.jpg

Fuelrail1Medium.jpg

Mikey1Small.jpg

My race car;

bosses1Medium.jpg

Intake1Large.jpg

racecar1Medium.jpg

In process, fuel rail attached, still needs some work;

IntakeMedium.jpg

Fuel rail mounts of race car mani;

DSC_7982Medium.jpg

DSC_7628Medium.jpg

DSC_7635Medium.jpg

Vacuum ports of race manifold;

DSC_7693Medium.jpg

Intake2Medium.jpg

IntakeMedium.jpg

DSC_7981Medium.jpg

Pearl2Medium.jpg

Pearl3Medium.jpg

Another N-42 intake, for stock throttle actuation and stock injectors;

Pearls.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I’ll be honest. I have not built one like these at retail yet. They all have been for friends and self. I end up doing this, they give me some parts or cash for my efforts, we’re both happy. You know how it is with close friends that are essentially family. :wink: For what I would charge to duplicate ANY of those for Joe Blow customer, you could build one from scratch for approx the same amount, which would not only look nice, be unique, but outflow the stock intake!

Personally, I think you are giving away your modified intakes. I truly feel your modified intakes are worth more than you are asking. Tough part is finding that threshold the market will support. For the amount of time invested, plus the consumable parts such as bits, sanding wraps, the manifold itself, air compressor wear and tear, electricity to run the compressor, etc, in the end, it is not uncommon to see only $1.50-$10 an hour for the effort put forth. Our time for such work is worth more than that. IMHO.

I’ll be honest. I have not built one like these at retail yet. They all have been for friends and self. I end up doing this, they give me some parts or cash for my efforts, we’re both happy. You know how it is with close friends that are essentially family. :wink: For what I would charge to duplicate ANY of those for Joe Blow customer, you could build one from scratch for approx the same amount, which would not only look nice, be unique, but outflow the stock intake!

Personally, I think you are giving away your modified intakes. I truly feel your modified intakes are worth more than you are asking. Tough part is finding that threshold the market will support. For the amount of time invested, plus the consumable parts such as bits, sanding wraps, the manifold itself, air compressor wear and tear, electricity to run the compressor, etc, in the end, it is not uncommon to see only $1.50-$10 an hour for the effort put forth. Our time for such work is worth more than that. IMHO.

I couldn't agree more Braap. I get people that call me all the time for a Dual cam setup. I tell them a price and they about die. I then begin to explain about 10% of the work involved, and they then come to see why I would need to get that much for a setup. Same goes for my custom intakes, head work etc. Some guys may work for free, but I am not one of them.

how much work was involved in removing the EGR plenum from the one intake???

I have a Pile O Manifolds, that unfortunately only containts ONE non EGR N42.. add to that the one on my 75 280 and out of say, 20+ EFI manifolds we have all told, grand total of TWO non EGR manifolds.

I LIKE working with aluminum and metal. My "career" has been a joke (long story involving self esteem versus intelligence, and lack of Booty.) and I currently work at Papa Pohn's delivering pizza making $6.50 an hour plus tips.. This is NOT a losing proposition to me!

However, I had looked at the EGR plenums on those manifolds and thought "what a shame, these are all just scrap, or at best a place to hack a flange off of" (a-la Z-ya's dual SU manifold) Is it really not that much more work to remove and plug that up? In that case, I could make one of those up for my car and paint it, and that leaves me with two non EGR manifolds that can be welded and polished..... These things are going to be how I pay for my car, sooo... We also have lots of valve covers and I have a HUGE electric motor I am going to set up on a stand with a gigantic buffing wheel. I have plans :)

Challenger: you know, we are at opposite corners of the country. If I get into this, maybe we ought to team up for promotional/reference purposes; you send Georgia people to me, I send any Oregonians your way. In any case, I HIGHLY doubt we would be competing very "directly" in any sense..