HybridZ

Advantages of a N42 Intake mated with a L28et?

B00STDZ

This was my first attempt at a "custom" metal piece ever, so it is kind of a hack job.

Hopefully it will give you some ideas, though. I ran the vacuum line for the FPR where it was supposed to be, and I have the actual regulator behind my Pallnet fuel rail. 240sx TB, cable linkage.

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/Shaved%20Intake/?action=view&current=100_2452.jpg

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/Shaved%20Intake/?action=view&current=100_2445.jpg

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/Shaved%20Intake/?action=view&current=100_2470.jpg

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/Shaved%20Intake/?action=view&current=100_2472.jpg

Also, the 'sensor' hole behind the Throttle Body is your port for the cold start injector, I just tapped it and put a bolt with teflon tape in it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought where I pointed out to what I thought was a FPR mount was wrong? Isnt it for some kind of ventilator?

Also do you keep more "add-ons" when this intake is mated to a l28et? Where do you route the hose from your valvecover to? Someone told me it "hurts" the performance of the engine to run the K&N filter as some here do? Maybe thats not true?

What gets shaved can change depending on your particular application. You need to determine what you will need vacuum sources for. The big ones holes at the back of the manifold are for the vacuum line to the brake booster and usually a vacuum line that runs into the car to control the heater directional flaps. You will also need a vacuum line for your FPR and possibly the charcoal canister if you are planning on keeping this. The hole right next to the throttle body is where the cold start injector was mounted. Turbo cars don't use this, which is why some people block them off. There may be others that I'm missing, but YOU need to determine what will need a vacuum source and where on the manifold it pulls from.

Below is how I did my manifold. Note that I'm running Megasquirt and have a 60mm TB. Also I'm not using a Charcoal canister. I also drilled and tapped the cold start injector hole for my air temp sensor. Also this is an N47 manifold that had EGR, but they are not that different.

DSCF0670.jpg

The thing you're calling a ventilator is a vacuum servo that is actuated when the A/C is turned on to raise the idle slightly. If you have no A/C then you don't need it. Even if you do have A/C you don't really need it.

The thing you circled on my manifold is the egr port that I blocked off. The only way you can get rid of that is by getting a n42 non egr intake. A member has cut off the rail and smoothed it all out but it would be so much work, might as well just find a good non egr manifold. The blue one was a n47 which is very similar to the n42 egr intake.

Also if you were to smooth out the round bump at the back you would break through the manifold.. which isnt good.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking to a local performance guy... he says that on the valve cover vent, it is accually more affective to put a small filter on it than run vacuum. Whats you guys' opinion on this? The guy I talked to said the vacuum type system is for emissions?

Also, Is there a vent on the block?

There is one single vacuum line on the bottum of the n42 intake. Does this go to the valve cover? This vacuum line is the ONLY one on the bottom of the intake and it is rather large. Am I correct?

The vent from the block goes to your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve that screws into the underside of the intake manifold. If you switch to an N42 manifold this will need to be relocated due to interference with the turbo. From what I've read you should keep this and not vent it to the atmosphere. Do a little research on this and you should come across some good reading.

Alright researching the fitments of the bigger 240sx throttle body to the N42 280z intake I have figured out that the intake needs to be ported.

But it cannot be fully ported on the right side?!

http://www.graytechsoftware.com/garage/tbs_inst_port.asp

My idea is to maybe tig weld some aluminum here on the right red line

intake_bore_5.jpg

Smooth it off and then this will allow the intake to be fully ported for the throttle body.

Would this hold boost well? Seems like it would allow for more air to enter the intake.

Here's some pictures of the intake I'm working on...

Its polishing out so well I think I might just polish it for now... And yes that blob you see near the throttle body is an unground weld... I need to get to grinding that.

2u9u535.jpg

2vc7zag.jpg

• Administrators

Just some corrections to the some of the EFI components labels.

The Fuel Pressure regulator is attached to the fuel rail itself.

1) Large is Brake booster, smaller is FICD, factory A/C controls etc.

2) Mount for A/C idle speed boost.

3) Fuel Pressure Regulator port.

4) Mount for Air Flow Regulator.

5) Port for Carbon canister.

6) Cold start injector.

7) Fuel rail mount pads.

comp.jpg

ManifoldsMedium.jpg